Manufacturing Operations Manager
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who aren't afraid to venture into new territories to build advanced automation systems. We are an incredibly supportive group that enjoys collaborating to overcome challenges and provide constructive feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers. As a core member of our team, you'll instill these values across the organization and play an integral role in helping grow the team. Join us if you want to make a meaningful impact on the future of technology while being part of a thoughtful, driven team.
We are seeking an ambitious and motivated operations manager to lead the build out of our manufacturing efforts for our first commercial product including supply chain, materials, planning, manufacturing and logistics. The ideal candidate has experience in manufacturing operations building robotics and/or Instruments with HW and SW controls and is comfortable wearing many hats working in a fast-paced start-up environment. Familiarity with contract manufacturing, supply chain and a track record of successful new product introduction (NPI) is required. This individual will be responsible for setting up and managing manufacturing operations, supply chain and logistics at Volta.
- Work with Program Management and Engineering teams in supporting the development of processes and managing builds at different phases of the development cycle.
- Lead Scheduling, budgeting, resource planning and risk planning within manufacturing for NPI Projects.
- Oversee daily execution of manufacturing and leading operational best practices with a focus on safety and quality.
- Communicate build status, schedule progress and key project metrics with core team and senior management.
- Lead manufacturing engineering in process documentation (assembly procedures, test procedures, BOMs, process flows, and process FMEAs) Responsible for vendor selection including qualification process and execution.
- Manage warehouse and inventory transactions including part inspection and non conforming material process and part management
- Lead purchasing and planning functions.
- Develop processes and procedures for ordering material and material planning for NPI builds.
- Responsible for logistics including shipping and receiving, freight management.
- Participate in evaluating, selecting and implementing software tools and systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related field
- 6 -8 years of experience in the manufacturing of complex electro/mechanical products with software control
- 2-4 years of management experience; strong leadership attributes
- Outstanding manufacturing and supply chain leadership skills
- Recognized experience leading complex systems and risk analysis
- Understanding of product/process development, verification, and validation techniques and tools
- Proficient in developing and managing work breakdown structures and general project management skills
- Experience using and implementing ERP systems (Netsuite)
- Experience creating and maintaining an efficient global supply chain for complicated electro-mechanical components and assemblies
- Seasoned understanding of mechanical and electrical components (machining, casting, injection molding, PCBs, cables harnesses, motion components)
- Managing end of life, and long lead components
- Ability to take risks, negotiate deals, manage expectations, and help create a disciplined development process
- Ability to drive results within a cross-functional, highly collaborative, and fast-paced environment
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration. We ask that you can come onsite to our Seaport Office in Boston, MA 5 days a week.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!