Scientist/Senior Scientist - Short Read Sequencing
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2023
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who aren't afraid to venture into new territories to build advanced automation systems. We are an incredibly supportive group that enjoys collaborating to overcome challenges and provide constructive feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers. As a core member of our team, you'll instill these values across the organization and play an integral role in helping grow the team. Join us if you want to make a meaningful impact on the future of technology while being part of a thoughtful, driven team.
As a Scientist/Senior Scientist in short-read sequencing at Volta, you will design and develop short-read sequencing sample prep applications on our proprietary digital fluidics platform. This role offers a unique opportunity to work on groundbreaking projects that have the potential to change the future of genomics. You will report to the Head of Applications Development and work closely with the Applications Development Program Manager and engineers.
- Own short-read sample prep applications development projects from feasibility, through verification and validation, to design transfer.
- Actively participate in all hands-on work, identify problems and root causes, systematically troubleshoot and solve complex issues, and provide innovative solutions.
- Lead experimental design, guide data analysis and reporting, and review outputs.
- Translate requirements into a detailed development plan and work closely with the Program Manager to manage deliverables, timelines and resources.
- Mentor and manage junior RA(s).
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams, including engineers, to optimize applications for the best chemistry performance and user experience.
- Conduct regular design reviews and report pro-actively to the broader team.
- Stay up-to-date with generation sequencing technologies through scientific literature, conference attendance, and customer interactions, and provide inputs into the Applications Development roadmap.
- PhD in bioengineering, molecular biology, biochemistry or a related discipline.
- 0-2 years for Scientist / 3+ years for Senior Scientist of relevant experience in developing and launching products (reagents, applications and/or instrumentation) in the genomics/life sciences space.
- A thorough understanding of short-read sequencing technologies and sample prep methods, including chemistry, workflows, automation (preferred) and data analysis.
- Practical experience in next-generation sequencing, e.g. Illumina, Oxford Nanopore or PacBio platforms with various sample types, including purified DNA, microbial, fresh and FFPE tissue material, blood, etc.
- Hands-on expertise in genomics assay development.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information, grasp the broader context while mastering finer details, think creatively and laterally, and solve technical and other challenges innovatively.
- A solid grasp on formal product design and development processes (preferred for Senior Scientist applicants).
- Self-driven and capable of working independently, with a proactive and efficient reporting style.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A commitment to continuous learning and growth mindset.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration. We ask that you can come onsite to our Seaport Office in Boston, MA 5 days a week.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!