Software Engineering Lead
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2023
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who aren't afraid to venture into new territories to build advanced automation systems. We are an incredibly supportive group that enjoys collaborating to overcome challenges and provide constructive feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers. As a core member of our team, you'll instill these values across the organization and play an integral role in helping grow the team. Join us if you want to make a meaningful impact on the future of technology while being part of a thoughtful, driven team.
As the software engineering lead you will drive the development of the core-instrument software. You will expand and improve upon our software stack that includes: Python and Linux as well as front-end web interfaces. You will work closely with both engineers and scientists to expand upon existing functionality and implement entirely new features. You will also help to develop a scalable continuous integration platform that will maintain, expand, and automate our deployment processes for software across multiple instruments and applications. You will drive and implement our software development process. As well as manage and maintain our software development tools such Jira and GitHub.
- Work across disciplines to rapidly design, test, and debug holistic software solutions for a complex hardware-software-biology instrument.
- Work with engineers and scientists and lead projects to expand upon existing functionality and implement new features.
- Develop and maintain clear and effective software documentation.
-Manage and drive software development life cycle process including ownership of software roadmap and r Requirements tracking.
- Supervise small SW engineering team working in Python in a Linux environment.
- M.S or B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field.
- 8+ years of software engineering experience (prefer experience in a hardware/robotics/capital equipment).
- 3+ years leading engineers and SW development projects
- Extensive experience with Python, Linux and application development including testing and deployment best practices.
- Experience leading the development of production quality code in a real product.
- Experience managing change and software releases.
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment with rapidly changing priorities: proactive team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
- Strong leadership and communication skills with the ability to synthesize technical information and present it to specialists and non-specialists.
- Experience with setting up and managing Jira, Confluence and GitHub
NICE TO HAVE:
- Familiarity with embedded development (ARM-Cortex M0-M4, STM32)
- Familiarity with laboratory data management technologies (LIMS, ELN)
- Familiarity with modern cloud technologies and security (AWS, Azure, GCP, Docker, etc. )
- Familiarity with emerging technologies, frameworks, and trends in image processing, computer vision, and machine learning
- A portfolio of your past work that you can share
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration. We ask that you can come onsite to our Seaport Office in Boston, MA 5 days a week.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!