Senior R&D Engineer - Electrowetting
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 3, 2023
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who aren't afraid to venture into new territories to build advanced automation systems. We are an incredibly supportive group that enjoys collaborating to overcome challenges and provide constructive feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers. As a core member of our team, you'll instill these values across the organization and play an integral role in helping grow the team. Join us if you want to make a meaningful impact on the future of technology while being part of a thoughtful, driven team.
The R&D team works at the interface of hardware, software, fluidics and materials. To develop and improve automated fluidic processes, we collaborate with engineers and scientists in all teams at Volta Labs.
- Develop novel methods and understanding of liquid droplet manipulation, using electrowetting.
- Interact with electrical and firmware engineers to design and test control systems from the ground-up.
- Design and perform experiments to optimize electrowetting technology by exploring parameter space (hardware/electronics/control) which may include: electrode geometry and layout, control patterns, dielectric stackup.
- Lead materials selection for consumables (dielectrics, coatings).
- PhD in Physics, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a relevant field, or masters degree and 1-4+ years of industry experience.
- Experience interfacing with multi-disciplinary RD and engineering teams.
- Experience with electronics and control systems.
- Development and prototyping of fluidics systems and consumables.
- Understanding of fluidic motion at small scale.
- Interest in fluid dynamics problems.
- Experience with PCB design.
- Experience in the development of physics-based models.
- Experience in research and development of electrowetting processes or platforms.
- Experience with characterization of polymer films and coatings.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration. We ask that you can come onsite to our Seaport Office in Boston, MA 5 days a week.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!