Electrical and Embedded Systems Lead
Cambridge, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2023
Volta Labs, Inc. (https://www.voltalabs.com/) is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Working at the intersection of engineering and biology, Volta is building a product to streamline DNA sequencing sample prep. As DNA sequencing is the foundational technology behind humanity‘s understanding of diseases and the tool that provides a new view into the fundamentals of biology, Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
Working at Volta Labs means having big ambitions for solving the world’s most challenging problems. Volta has brought together individuals from many different fields (physics, biology, engineering, operations) to work toward one main shared goal -- build the most advanced sample prep solution for sequencing. We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
We are seeking a highly motivated Electrical and Embedded Systems Lead to join our team. Hardware here refers to both electrical and mechanical (stronger in one or the other with preference towards electrical). You will be responsible for owning the electrical sub-system and software integration for Volta's first commercial product.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for making sure the design, bringup and testing electromechanical systems and translating those to software requirements. They will lead a team of electrical, firmware and test engineers.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for owning the requirements for electrical sub-systems
- Translating those requirements into electrical and firmware design
- Leading a team of electrical and firmware engineers from design to fabrication to initial bring up during design phase
- Responsible for developing verification tests and methods in collaboration with software and mechanical engineers
- Play a key role in well planned execution of bringing together software and hardware into fully-functional subsystems
- Responsible running compliance testing
- Developing in-unit testing for manufacturing assembly line and post launch sustaining activities
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Strong technical proficiency in systems/electrical engineering.
- Experience leading complex cross-disciplinary engineering projects
- Experience managing system and subsystem requirements.
- Well versed in hardware debugging and passionate about understanding why things work (or don't!)
- Are comfortable working fluidly across engineering disciplines - from mechanical design to electrical engineering to embedded software.
- Knowledge of motion control, sensors, and control algorithms.
- Capability of guiding team through the complete product development phases.
- Comfortable working on Linux systems, scripting with Python and familiarity with low-level embedded firmware (C++ preferred)
- Self-motivated and strong problem-solving ability.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment with rapidly changing priorities: proactive team player who thinks ahead, plans, and suggests solutions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Electrical, Electronics or Computer Engineering. Master’s degree preferred.
- Have developed and tested complex electro-mechanical systems or robotic systems for multiple products, from early concept through to mass production
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary design, development, integration and test teams
- Led multiple projects overseeing teams of more than 5 engineers.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!
See more open positions at Volta Labs
Something looks off?