Software Engineer II
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Sunday, April 9, 2023
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who aren't afraid to venture into new territories to build advanced automation systems. We are an incredibly supportive group that enjoys collaborating to overcome challenges and provide constructive feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers. As a core member of our team, you'll instill these values across the organization and play an integral role in helping grow the team. Join us if you want to make a meaningful impact on the future of technology while being part of a thoughtful, driven team.
Volta is seeking a talented and driven Software Engineer excited to solve complex cross-disciplinary problems in developing and integrating our novel instrument platform. In this role, you will work on a variety of software projects spanning both customer-facing products and internal tools.
This role will be part of the Software Engineering team at Volta. We are a small but mighty team responsible for all software activities within the company. We build the entire product software stack (firmware to the cloud) along with internal systems for ingesting and analyzing experimental data. Our tech stack includes C++, Python 3, ReactJS, TypeScript, Grafana, and AWS, and our software has been deployed in some of the foremost research institutions in the world. Areas of work include firmware, instrument control, lab automation, telemetry, and cloud computing. Join us if you want to work at the intersection of software, hardware, and biology and define the future of automation in the life sciences!
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including hardware engineers, scientists, and product managers, to define requirements and timelines
- Design, develop, and maintain features for customer-facing products and internal tools
- Debug, troubleshoot, and resolve complex software errors, taking ownership of the resolution process
- Deploy software updates to fleets of instruments and monitor them to provide a stable instrument platform for end users
- Document software design, implementation, and testing procedures to ensure clarity and maintainability
- Participate in code reviews, follow company coding standards, and write unit tests
- Contribute to the overall success of the team by proactively identifying opportunities for process improvement and innovation
- BS or higher in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of professional experience in software development using Python 3 on Linux
- Proficiency in web development technologies, specifically ReactJS / Typescript / HTML / CSS5
- Extensive experience with software development best practices like static typing, unit testing, version control, and continuous integration
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, with the ability to work independently and adapt to changing priorities.
- Experience developing software to control hardware
- Experience with cloud computing platforms, specifically AWS
- Experience with fast-paced startup environments with continuously evolving requirements
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment
- Keen interest in learning about molecular biology and genomics
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration. We ask that you can come onsite to our Seaport Office in Boston, MA 5 days a week.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!