Senior Electrical Engineer
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2023
Volta Labs is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Building off of this core technology, Volta has created a product that streamlines DNA sequencing sample prep. Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who aren't afraid to venture into new territories to build advanced automation systems. We are an incredibly supportive group that enjoys collaborating to overcome challenges and provide constructive feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers. As a core member of our team, you'll instill these values across the organization and play an integral role in helping grow the team. Join us if you want to make a meaningful impact on the future of technology while being part of a thoughtful, driven team.
- Design and build prototypes and production electronic systems, including circuit design, PCB layout, embedded firmware development, bring up and validation
- Go beyond the board -- design sensing, motion, electrowetting, magnetic field actuation and thermal management systems around off-the-shelf and custom components
- Back up your design decisions with data gathered through simulations and experiments
- Grow into owning system-level architecture and mentoring other engineers
- M. S. or B. S. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Applied Physics or a related field with 4+ years of relevant experience in an industry / research position.
- Strong systems level thinking in designing complex electrical systems.
- Experience with designing mixed signal circuits, high voltage systems, power electronics.
- Experience developing systems with digital logic and embedded processors (ARM, AVR, Raspberry Pi).
- Design, layout and fabrication of printed circuit boards using Altium Designer, KiCad, Eagle or similar tool.
- Programming in one more languages C, C++, Python.
- Design of multiple products that have met EMI/EMC, safety and related certification standards
- Ability to work in a fast based start-up work environment with ability to adjust workload based upon changing priorities.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills to clearly articulate ideas and concepts with biologists, engineers and non-scientists.
- Excellent organization and task planning skills and capability for multi-tasking.
- Self-starter who requires minimal supervision.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration. We ask that you can come onsite to our Seaport Office in Boston, MA 5 days a week.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!