Senior Firmware and Electrical Engineer
Cambridge, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2023
Volta Labs, Inc. (https://www.voltalabs.com/) is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Working at the intersection of engineering and biology, Volta is building a product to streamline DNA sequencing sample prep. As DNA sequencing is the foundational technology behind humanity‘s understanding of diseases and the tool that provides a new view into the fundamentals of biology, Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution; driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
Working at Volta Labs means having big ambitions for solving the world’s most challenging problems. Volta has brought ht together individuals from many different fields (physics, biology, engineering, operations) to work toward one main shared goal -- build the most advanced sample prep solution for sequencing. We are a product and data-driven company where employees are expected to learn, grow and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to Volta with huge upside potential. With commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
About the Team
This role will be part of the Software Engineering team at Volta. We are a small but mighty team responsible for all software activities within the company. We build the entire product software stack (firmware to the cloud), in addition to internal systems for ingesting and analyzing experimental data. We also develop and maintain a sophisticated automation environment for our lab instruments. Our tech stack includes C++, Python 3, ReactJS, TypeScript, Grafana, and AWS, and our software has been deployed in some of the foremost research institutions in the world. Areas of work include firmware; instrument control; lab automation; telemetry; data analysis; and cloud computing. Join us if you want to work at the interaction of software, hardware, and biology, and define the future of automation in the life sciences!
About the Role
We are looking for a senior firmware and electrical engineer who is excited about solving complex cross-disciplinary problems and creating amazing technology collaboratively.
How you will contribute
- Design, develop, and maintain low-level firmware for microcontrollers on our custom PCBs.
- Test firmware at the system and subsystem level, creating test cases, test plans, and hardware test stands as needed.
- Collaborate closely with hardware, software & automation engineers to ensure firmware integrates seamlessly with the overall system design.
- 6-10 years experience with design and development of driver-level firmware, application-level firmware, bootloaders and related low-level functionality using C/C++ in RTOS and bare-metal environments.
- Expert knowledge of handling communication between onboard computer and multiple firmware endpoints using communication interfaces like SPI, I2C, UART, and USB.
- Experience testing firmware on and off the instrument.
- Strong knowledge of electrical engineering basics including reading schematics and wiring diagrams, reading electrical data sheets to develop interface driver code and basic circuit design.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- BS or higher in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a similar discipline.
- A background in biology or laboratory automation is not required, but a keen interest in learning more about these areas is.
Qualifications considered a plus
- Experience with firmware development for liquid handling robots or medical devices.
- Ability to design and implement closed-loop control systems.
- Experience with hardware-in-the-loop testing.
- Ability to edit and improve schematics and board layouts in Altium.
- Experience in fast-paced startup environments with continuously evolving requirements.
Our Benefits and Perks
- Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
- Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
- HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
- Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
- 12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
- Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
- 10 Paid Federal Holidays
- Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
- Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
- Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!
See more open positions at Volta Labs
Something looks off?