Senior R&D Technician
Visby Medical is an ambitious, well-funded late-stage biotech startup. Driven by a belief that infectious disease diagnosis should be quick, accurate, and accessible to all, Visby has developed the world’s first single-use PCR platform that disrupts the traditional model and redefines the way infectious disease is tested and treated.
The Senior R&D Technician will support the Engineering team in the development and testing of disposable medical diagnostic devices. With engineering guidance, this candidate will characterize and develop engineering and product requirements. The candidate will have excellent attention to detail, be capable of performing manual operations accurately and repeatably, and enjoy working in a fast pace and dynamic product development environment.
- Assemble test units, diagnose and document assembly and test issues.
- Participate in failure and root cause analysis of mechanical assemblies.
- Execute test protocols and experiments to support device characterization and V&V activities.
- Execute re-work and inspection of components and assemblies.
- Design, fabricate, assemble and trouble-shoot fixtures used for manufacture and inspection of components and assemblies.
- Hands-on transfer of processes to manufacturing and operations team.
- Maintain an orderly and clean work area, equipment and materials.
- Use of basic machine shop equipment such as mill and lath to modify product and test fixtures per engineering direction.
- Use of dimensional vision systems to measure component features.
- Use of leak test equipment to measure pressuring holding capability of sub-assemblies.
- Use computer, sensors, and instrumentation to gather and record data.
- Other duties as assigned.
On your first day we'll expect you to have
- Minimum High School graduate with AS in a technical field.
- Minimum of 8 years of related experience in medical device industry.
- Excellent hands-on assembly skills, including soldering of electronic components.
- Capable of operating basic machine shop equipment: lath and mill.
- Problem solving and attention to detail.
- Ability to follow instructions and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, while maintaining highly ethical standard of behavior.
- Willingness to learn new methods and technologies.
Unique aspects of this job
- Must be able to perform repetitive tasks and/or motions, while sitting or standing for prolonged periods of time.
- Must have visual and auditory acuity, as well as manual dexterity while using tooling and assembly work and working with equipment such as lathes, mills, and other equipment.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
- $34.10 - $42.63 (Hourly range for candidates based in San Jose, CA)
- Compensation for the role is based on geographical location.
- Compensation also depends on a number of factors including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies and experience and may fall outside of the range shown.
More about our benefits
Visby offers highly competitive health insurance through Cigna or Kaiser, including a company-funded HSA option. We also offer a 401k match, flexible paid time off, 11 company holidays, and many other contemporary benefits and perks.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Visbees is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, pregnancy or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, or military or veteran status.
Full COVID Vaccination Required - Reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons considered.