Associate Director, Immune Targeting
Vir Biotechnology, Inc. is an immunology company focused on combining cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent infectious diseases and other serious conditions. Vir has assembled two technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current clinical development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting hepatitis B and hepatitis delta viruses and human immunodeficiency virus. Vir has several preclinical candidates in its pipeline, including those targeting influenza A and B, COVID-19, RSV/MPV and HPV.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our mission. We are committed to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results. We are proud to be the first company to be ranked at the top of the Deloitte Fast 500 list two years in a row (2023 & 2022)!
Vir Biotechnology is looking for a highly talented and motivated Associate Director to join our new Immune Targeting team, reporting to the Sr. Vice President, to solve challenges spanning discovery research and pre-clinical development. You will join Vir’s efforts in discovery research aimed at development of novel therapeutic programs. You will have interactions with cross-functional discovery teams and contribute to the discovery of immunomodulators for cancer and infectious disease. This role is based in our San Francisco Lab Facility.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- You will lead a group of 3-4 individual researchers (from Research Associates to Sr Scientist) to find and develop biologics for targets in immune-oncology and possibly autoimmunity
- You will plan, validate and execute cutting-edge human immunologic assays to support research programs.
- You will develop and manage internal and external resources to support research programs.
- You will perform scientific research of considerable scope and complexity which requires in-depth knowledge of scientific methods.
- You will maintain project timelines and participate in team meetings.
- Present scientific work at internal meetings and potential partners.
- Maintain records of daily activities, experimental details, and results related to assigned projects.
- May provide scientific mentorship to Research Associates.
- Manage animal models of therapeutic activity
- Seek opportunities to continuously improve
- Perform diligence duties on external assets
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You should have a PhD and 7+ year of relevant industry/academic experience with focus in either tumor immunology or immunology or equivalent education/experience
- Must have a broad fundamental understanding of the immune response to cancer and infectious agents.
- Technical expertise with specialized immunology assays and methods such as, polychromatic flow cytometry, cytotoxicity as well as T cell functional assay and antigen presentation assays, and other in vitro immunology systems is required.
- Familiarity with complex, multi-parameter data sets (i.e. systems biology) ideal. Experience in gene expression and molecular biology.
- Experience working with human biospecimens preferred.
- Experience in human immunology with a focus on T cell assays.
- Antibody development experience is required.
- T cell transfer technology would also be beneficial.
- Can manage a high volume of projects
- Strong communication organization and planning skills
Vir Biotechnology (“Vir”) is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions at Vir are based on legitimate, non-discriminatory business requirements, job duties and individual qualifications. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, parental status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or any other legally protected characteristic.
This commitment extends to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, compensation, appraisal systems, promotions, training and career development programs. Vir also strongly commits to providing employees with a work environment free of unlawful discrimination or harassment.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.
For hires based in the United States, Vir Biotechnology, Inc., participates in E-Verify.