Senior Director of R&D Communications
Vir Biotechnology, Inc. is an immunology company focused on combining cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent infectious diseases and other serious conditions. Vir has assembled two technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current clinical development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting hepatitis B and hepatitis delta viruses and human immunodeficiency virus. Vir has several preclinical candidates in its pipeline, including those targeting influenza A and B, COVID-19, RSV/MPV and HPV.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our mission. We are committed to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results. We are proud to be the first company to be ranked at the top of the Deloitte Fast 500 list two years in a row (2023 & 2022)!
Vir Biotechnology is seeking an experienced communicator with strong biopharma scientific knowledge to join our biotech company as the Sr. Director of R&D Communications. Reporting to the Chief Corporate Affairs Officer, this pivotal role is responsible for translating complex scientific information into clear, compelling messages for a variety of communications assets and audiences. You will lead efforts to establish and maintain scientific thought leadership, collaborate closely with the patient advocacy and external communications Senior Directors, as well as Vir's Chief Scientific Officer, to drive impactful communication strategies that elevate the company's profile in the biopharma industry.
Preference given to candidates willing to work onsite in our San Francisco, CA office. We will consider remote employees. Vir only supports employees within the United States and reserves the right to approve work locations.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Translate complex scientific concepts into accessible and engaging content for diverse audiences, ensuring clear understanding of our research and development initiatives.
- Develop and manage strategies to establish and enhance scientific thought leadership within the R&D team and the broader organization.
- Identify and capitalize on scientific thought leadership opportunities with the goal of positioning Vir as a leader in the biopharma industry.
- Work with the patient advocacy Senior Director to incorporate patient perspectives into the R&D objectives, ensuring consistent messaging and brand representation.
- Lead and facilitate the dissemination of R&D updates to all stakeholders, utilizing various communication platforms and tactics.
- Gain insights into the rapidly evolving biopharma industry and stay abreast of advancements in research and development.
- Support Chief Scientific Officer with internal and external engagement preparations.
- Coordinate with leaders across the organization to align R&D communications with overall corporate objectives.
- Collaborate with diverse teams, including R&D, patient advocacy, and external partners, fostering a comprehensive understanding of the biotech landscape.
- Identify and facilitate thought leadership opportunities for Vir leaders that highlight both their own and our expertise.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced degree in a relevant scientific discipline, communications, or a related field
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in communications, with a focus on translating scientific information for diverse audiences
- Biotech or pharmaceutical industry experience required
- Passion for storytelling around novel and transformative science and therapeutic candidates.
- Extremely strong verbal, written, and presentation communication skills with a track record of presenting to and coaching senior company leaders.
- Experience driving strategic scientific thought leadership opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategic communication plans that align with organizational goals.
- Strong network and relationships with influencers in the scientific and healthcare community.
The expected salary range for this position is $217,500.00 to $318,000.00. Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, geographic location, and other job-related factors.
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all onsite employees!
Vir Biotechnology (“Vir”) is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions at Vir are based on legitimate, non-discriminatory business requirements, job duties and individual qualifications. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, parental status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or any other legally protected characteristic.
This commitment extends to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, compensation, appraisal systems, promotions, training and career development programs. Vir also strongly commits to providing employees with a work environment free of unlawful discrimination or harassment.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.
For hires based in the United States, Vir Biotechnology, Inc., participates in E-Verify.