Scientist I, Immune Targeting
Vir Biotechnology, Inc. is an immunology company focused on combining cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent infectious diseases and other serious conditions. Vir has assembled two technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current clinical development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting hepatitis B and hepatitis delta viruses, influenza A and B, human immunodeficiency virus and COVID-19. Vir has several preclinical candidates in its pipeline, including RSV/MPV and HPV.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our mission. We are committed to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results. We are proud to have been ranked the fastest-growing company in North America on the 2022 Deloitte Technology Fast 500™.
Vir Biotechnology is looking for a highly talented and motivated Scientist I to join our new Immune Targeting team to solve challenges spanning discovery research and pre-clinical development. You will join Vir's efforts in discovery research aimed at development of novel therapeutic programs. You will have interactions with cross-functional discovery teams and contribute to the discovery of novel immunomodulators for cancer and infectious disease. This role is based in our San Francisco Lab Facility.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- You will develop, troubleshoot, and execute cutting-edge human immunologic assays to support research programs.
- You will develop and manage internal and external resources to support research programs.
- You will perform scientific research of considerable scope and complexity which requires in-depth knowledge of scientific methods.
- You will maintain project timelines and participate in team meetings.
- Present scientific work at internal meetings and with potential partners.
- Maintain records of daily activities, experimental details, and results related to assigned projects.
- May provide scientific mentorship to Research Associates.
- May manage animal models of therapeutic activity.
- Seek opportunities to continuously improve.
- Maintain scientific rigor with a high volume of projects.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You should have a PhD and 1+ year of relevant industry/academic experience with a focus in either immunology or tumor immunology or equivalent education & experience.
- Must have a broad fundamental understanding of the immune response to cancer and infectious agents.
- Technical expertise with specialized immunology assays and methods such as ELISA, polychromatic flow cytometry, cytotoxicity as well as T cell functional assays, and other in vitro immunology systems is required.
- Familiarity with complex, multi-parameter data sets (i.e. systems biology) ideal.
- Experience in gene expression and molecular biology.
- Experience working with human biospecimens preferred.
- Antibody development experience is desirable.
- Understanding of cytokine biology is desirable.
- Familiarity with protein purification and biophysical characterization methods is desirable.
- Strong communication, organization, and planning skills
The expected salary range for this position is $111,500.00 to $146,500.00. Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, geographic location, and other job-related factors.
Vir’s compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person’s experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all onsite personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.