VP, Corporate Law
Vir Biotechnology, Inc. is an immunology company focused on combining cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent infectious diseases and other serious conditions. Vir has assembled two technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current clinical development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting hepatitis B and hepatitis delta viruses, influenza A and B, human immunodeficiency virus and COVID-19. Vir has several preclinical candidates in its pipeline, including RSV/MPV and HPV.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our mission. We are committed to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results. We are proud to have been ranked the fastest-growing company in North America on the 2022 Deloitte Technology Fast 500™.
Reporting into the General Counsel, the Vice President, Corporate Law will have responsibility for important legal matters, including strategic corporate transactions and legal aspects of SEC reporting, and together with the General Counsel, the governance, compliance, and other obligations of a public company. This is a unique opportunity to add immense value in a fast-paced, evolving and collaborative environment where your work will have a direct impact on company success.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Corporate Securities
- Manage our SEC filings, including quarterly reports on Form 10-Qs, 10-Ks and related earnings releases, Form 8-Ks, Annual Report, Proxy Statement, and all Section 16 filings.
- Assist with our quarterly earnings, analyst interactions, ongoing stockholder engagement program, insider trading program and 10b5-1 trading plans.
- Work with investor relations and corporate communications regarding external communications and presentations to ensure compliance and consistency in all public disclosures and prevent any Reg FD issues.
- Strategic Business Transactions
- Partner with, and provide legal direction and guidance to, Vir's strategic alliance and business development teams and other departments on the legal implications of transaction initiatives and strategies, with a focus on inbound and outbound licensing and collaboration agreements, strategic alliances, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Serve as lead counsel for strategic transactions by overseeing legal due diligence, devising and advising on transaction structures and business terms, assisting with the preparation of term sheets, and ensuring the preparation and final negotiation of deal documents.
- You will be the lead counsel for equity raises, ATM renewals, debt financings, merger and acquisition opportunities, and other corporate strategic financial transactions.
- Support alliance management in launching collaborations and integration efforts. Advise on contract interpretation issues and work with alliance management on maintenance and performance of existing partnerships and other commercial arrangements.
- Support Legal transactions group with routine contracting matters and strategic advice.
- Support the General Counsel in areas of governance, oversight responsibilities, executive compensation, public disclosures, proxy advisory firms, ESG and other public company obligations and best practices. Help with corporate secretarial matters, including preparation of materials, and minutes for board of directors and committee meetings.
- General Compliance
- Assist with internal committees and projects to ensure that senior management performs their financial disclosure-related obligations timely.
- Ensure compliance with company policies and SEC/NYSE rules and regulations. Stay up-to-date and keep relevant teams apprised on corporate law developments as well as best practices in an evolving regulatory landscape.
- Assist in the continued employee education, training, and compliance programs regarding public company obligations, M&A, and insider trading.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- JD from a nationally accredited law school, top law firm training and member in good standing of a State Bar.
- Minimum of 15 years' legal experience with a combination of private practice and biopharma in-house experience.
- Demonstrated command and expertise of securities, corporate and governance laws and best practices and experience counseling senior management and boards.
- Experience with inbound and outbound licensing and collaboration agreements, strategic alliances, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Working understanding of accounting and financial statements, business models and drivers, and revenue recognition standards and related SEC regulations and disclosure requirements.
- Experience creating, monitoring and/or contributing to financial and stock trading compliance program processes and procedures.
- Motivated, self-starter and team player with ability to appropriately prioritize issues and allocate resources
- Demonstrates a history of resolving challenging legal issues and effectively delivers sound and clear legal advice in a business setting.
- Works well with other legal team members and builds consensus among various stakeholders while maintaining a compliant approach.
- Experience managing external counsel and reducing outside counsel spend on strategic transactions by optimizing work done in-house.
Vir’s compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person’s experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all onsite personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.