Lead IT Data Architect
Vir Biotechnology, Inc. is an immunology company focused on combining cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent infectious diseases and other serious conditions. Vir has assembled two technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current clinical development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting hepatitis B and hepatitis delta viruses and human immunodeficiency virus. Vir has several preclinical candidates in its pipeline, including those targeting influenza A and B, COVID-19, RSV/MPV and HPV.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our mission. We are committed to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results. We are proud to have been ranked the fastest-growing company in North America on the 2022 Deloitte Technology Fast 500™.
Vir Biotechnology is looking for a Lead IT Data Architect to create a data architecture vision, align data architecture with our enterprise architecture and implement a set of standards for our data solutions. You will ensure the access, performance and security of our data systems and applications. You will report to the Senior Director, IT Infrastructure and Operations and collaborate across the Data Engineering, Data Science, Research, Clinical and TechOps groups to develop a data architecture to advance the goals of our Data Science, Bioinformatics and Machine Learning teams. You will also collaborate with other groups to across the organization to provide data marts and analytical tools to support their operations.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Lead the architecture, design, and deployment of enterprise data solutions.
- Define data standards and policies and develop the data architecture for Vir.
- Establish the Data Architecture Forum (DAF) and lead forum meetings.
- Help evaluate and select AWS and data governance technologies to support building an enterprise healthcare data lake.
- Design and planning, including application architecture, system landscape, installation sizing and planning, system change management, performance monitoring and tuning, troubleshooting and problem analysis and resolution.
- Ensure data integrity and the data's strategic value is understood throughout the Vir.
- Mentor IT operations and business teams on data architecture design and requirements.
- Collaborate across the IT, Machine Learning, Bioinformatics and Data Engineering Teams.
- Drive adoption of advanced AWS cloud-based features and capabilities.
- Assist the development and operational teams to build infrastructure and troubleshoot production issues.
- Review and enhance documentation and knowledgebase.
- Translate business requirements into conceptual, logical, and physical models.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a science-related field.
- 12+ years industry experience, including experience as a Data Architect or Lead Data Engineer.
- Development experience in Python or similar object-oriented languages.
- Experience building enterprise data governance programs.
- Experience with Managed Service Providers.
- Deep experience with AWS technologies, APIs, backup, Disaster Recovery and ITOps.
- Experience building data lakes using AWS or similar technologies.
- Experience designing and building data processing pipelines using Nextflow, Airflow, or similar technologies.
- Understanding of the Machine learning lifecycle, LLMs and their use.
- DevOps exposure including Ci/CD pipelines in AWS - Code/Build/Deployment: GIT, Docker, Jenkins, Kubernetes.
- Applicable certifications include AWS Certified Cloud Data Engineer, AWS Certified Application Architect.
- You will work primarily from our Headquarters in San Francisco's Mission Bay district.
The expected salary range for this position is $168,500.00 to $246,500.00. Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, geographic location, and other job-related factors.
Vir’s compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person’s experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all onsite personnel!
Vir Biotechnology (“Vir”) is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions at Vir are based on legitimate, non-discriminatory business requirements, job duties and individual qualifications. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, parental status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service or any other legally protected characteristic.
This commitment extends to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring, compensation, appraisal systems, promotions, training and career development programs. Vir also strongly commits to providing employees with a work environment free of unlawful discrimination or harassment.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.