Lead Data Platform Architect
Vir Biotechnology, Inc. is an immunology company focused on combining cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent infectious diseases and other serious conditions. Vir has assembled two technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current clinical development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting hepatitis B and hepatitis delta viruses, influenza A and B, human immunodeficiency virus and COVID-19. Vir has several preclinical candidates in its pipeline, including RSV/MPV and HPV.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our mission. We are committed to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results. We are proud to have been ranked the fastest-growing company in North America on the 2022 Deloitte Technology Fast 500™.
The Data Science and Operations (DSO) group is looking for a Lead Data Platform Architect to join the Data Engineering team in San Francisco. You will report to the Senior Director of Data Engineering and will collaborate with multiple departments across Vir. You will build data platforms and analytical capabilities to support and enhance business operations throughout the organization. This is a hybrid role and you will work a few days each week from our HQ in San Francisco.
DSO is made up of engineers, bioinformaticians, genome analysts, and machine learning specialists building data infrastructure, pipelines, and data analytics across Vir.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Lead the architecture, design, and deployment of an enterprise healthcare data lake.
- Help design core data platforms to allow the building of bioinformatics pipelines, machine learning models, data science applications and custom applications and dashboards.
- Participate as a member of the VIR data architecture forum group.
- Evaluate and select AWS technologies including data governance technologies to support building an enterprise healthcare data lake.
- Develop a scalable and reliable infrastructure that supports bioinformatics pipelines and machine learning model deployment.
- Be a liaison between IT, Machine Learning, Bioinformatics and the Data Engineering Team
- Review and enhance documentation and the Vir knowledgebase.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 12+ years development experience in Python or similar object-oriented languages.
- 5+ years of experience as a full stack developer.
- Experience as lead or principal data engineer.
- Deep experience with AWS technologies, APIs, MLOps.
- Building data lakes using AWS or similar technologies.
- Designing and building data processing pipelines using Next flow, Airflow, or similar technologies.
- Enterprise data governance, the machine learning lifecycle and LLMs and their use.
- Code/Build/Deployment: GIT, Docker, Jenkins, Kubernetes.
- Scientific pipelines, i.e. Bioinformatics (genomic processing) pipelines, on AWS or other cloud vendors.
- Executive level dashboard using Tableau or Spotfire.
- Strong database experience, i.e. opensource vector databases like Milvus, Pinecone.
- Relevant certifications would include AWS Certified Data Analytics or AWS Certified Machine Learning.
- BS in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent industry experience.
Vir’s compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person’s experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all onsite personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.