Senior Machine Learning Scientist
Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B and hepatitis D viruses, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our mission. We are committed to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results. We are proud to have been ranked the fastest-growing company in North America on the 2022 Deloitte Technology Fast 500™.
Vir Biotechnology is looking for an accomplished Senior Machine Learning Scientist who will report to our Senior Director of Machine Learning. You will play a crucial role in the development and implementation of cutting-edge machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms that lead to innovative solutions in the biotechnology field. You will collaborate with research scientists, bioinformatics experts and software engineers to tackle complex problems in areas such as genomics, diagnostics, and antibody and small molecule drug discovery.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams to define project goals, design experiments, and translate biological questions into computational problems.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in machine learning, artificial intelligence and computational biology, and incorporate relevant techniques into our research pipeline.
- Maintain a high standard of software best practices, including appropriate testing, code review and version management (Github).
- Contribute to the preparation of scientific publications, patents, and presentations, highlighting our research achievements and discoveries.
- Work in a high paced team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize work from multiple projects.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Physics, Statistics, or a related field with a focus on machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- 2+ years of experience working in a data science setting.
- Evidence of autonomous analytical skills, creativity, and high productivity through prior work experience, projects, awards and publications.
- Programming skills in Python, R, or other relevant languages. Familiarity with a second programming language.
- Expertise in multiple machine learning frameworks and libraries, such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, or scikit-learn.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud.
- Experience with biological data analysis and domain knowledge in biotechnology.
- This role is open to remote employees.
Vir’s compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person’s experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.