Scientist II, Immune Targeting
Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B and hepatitis D viruses, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our mission. We are committed to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results. We are proud to have been ranked the fastest-growing company in North America on the 2022 Deloitte Technology Fast 500™.
Vir Biotechnology is looking for a highly talented and motivated Scientist to join our new Immune Targeting team, reporting to the Sr. Vice President, to solve challenges spanning discovery research and pre-clinical development. You will join Vir’s efforts in discovery research aimed at development of novel therapeutic programs. You will have interactions with cross-functional discovery teams and contribute to the discovery of novel T cell receptors and immunomodulators for cancer and infectious disease. This role is based in our San Francisco Lab Facility.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- You will plan, validate and execute cutting-edge human immunologic assays to support research programs.
- You will develop and manager internal and external resources to support research programs.
- You will perform scientific research of considerable scope and complexity which requires in-depth knowledge of scientific methods.
- You will maintain project timelines and participate in team meetings.
- Present scientific work at internal meetings and potential partners.
- Maintain records of daily activities, experimental details, and results related to assigned projects.
- May provide scientific mentorship to Research Associates.
- Manage animal models of therapeutic activity
- Seek opportunities to continuously improve
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD or equivalent degree in microbiology, virology, molecular and cell biology, or a related life sciences field, 2+ years of post-doctoral experience preferred
- Proficiency in cell culture and cell-based virology techniques such as virus production, cell-based infection models, plaque assays, and neutralization assays is required. Experience in viral resistance assays is desirable.
- Experience working in a BSL-3 laboratory environment is desirable.
- Highly skilled in molecular biology techniques such as cloning, nucleic acid purification, PCR, and sequencing is strongly preferred.
- Experience working with clinical samples or clinical trial data, including evaluating translational biomarkers or viral resistance development, are desirable.
- Ability to work in a high paced inter-disciplinary and cross functional team environment, meet deadlines and prioritize work from multiple projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong project management and organizational skills are essential
Vir’s compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person’s experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.