Bothell, WA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2023
The Accessioning department at Viome is responsible for receiving, unpacking, processing, and recording all laboratory samples sent for testing. This is an essential role that requires attention to detail and the ability to focus in an environment that may have background noise and activity. The majority of this role is set in a sterile environment, sterile practices must be observed and maintained. This position involves handling and working with potentially hazardous materials including customer specimens in a laboratory setting. You will be in constant contact with other departments and will be vital to ensuring customer samples are run within turnaround time expectations.
This role is an entry level position that has many routes to grow within the laboratory depending on your background. Join us on our quest to build a world where illness is optional. At Viome, our goal is to digitize, decode, and decipher human biology to prevent, treat, and cure chronic diseases and cancer. In order to enhance our understanding of the origin and progression of diseases, we use a systems biology approach combined with mRNA analysis and our state-of-the-art artificial intelligence platform. Our direct-to-consumer service analyzes gene expressions (mRNA) in order to provide individuals with health insights and precision nutrition to live a healthier life. This growing platform of ~300,000 samples enables us to enhance our understanding of human biology as a system in order to develop predictive biomarkers, precision diagnostics, and precision therapeutics to prevent and intercept chronic diseases.
- Specific Duties, Activities, and Responsibilities in this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Follow sterile techniques and proper usage of PPE.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in regards to patient specimens and lab equipment.
- Follow safety protocols and laboratory regulations including: Good Clinical and Laboratory Practices (GLP) as well as Clinical Laboratory Improvements Amendment (CLIA).
- Receive and accession samples into the Laboratory Information System (LIMS).
- Enter, upload, and ensure accuracy and completeness of information pertaining to samples.
- Ability to identify problem samples/shipments and discern if the issue needs to be escalated to leadership.
- Perform specimen preparation, labeling, handling, processing, and storage.
- This includes aliquoting both manually and using automated methods.
- Specimen types include but are not limited to: Stool, Blood and Saliva.
- Ensure appropriate storage and transfer of each physical sample through the entire sample lifecycle.
- Assist with sample disposal.
- Use independent judgment and prioritize without direct supervision.
- Work with others as part of a team while maintaining professionalism.
- Assist in training new staff on laboratory procedures.
- Assist with general laboratory equipment maintenance and record keepingPerform other duties as assigned by Lead or other Senior Accessioning staff.
- Report any laboratory related concerns to the Accessioning lead and/or the General Supervisor.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A high school diploma or equivalent1+ years of experience working in a clinical laboratory performing CLIA level high complexity testing
- Experience working with clinical samples in a regulated laboratory (CLIA/CAP).
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences.
- 2+ years of experience working in a clinical laboratory performing CLIA level high complexity testing.
- Experience working in a regulated laboratory (CLIA/CAP).
- Earned Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Chemistry or Lab Technology.
- Experience in a high throughput clinical, research or pathology testing laboratory.
- Ability to work in an accurate and timely manner in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Experience with LIMS systems, and web-based applications.
- High integrity and experience with HIPAA compliance.
- Any additional training or courses relevant to the role.
- Though not a common occurrence, the applicant must be flexible to work different shifts, such as weekends and evenings as the position requires.
- There will be occasional work in the laboratory handling human biological specimens.
- Flexibility and willingness to work more than the standard sample types is required.
- Pipetting of multiple samples is a routine task, ability to accurately and cleanly accomplish this by using GLP is required.
- Perform data entry into computer systems for extended periods during the workday.
- Lift and carry objects weighing up to 25lbs as required for job tasks.
- Demonstrate the ability to safely navigate ladders or climb if necessary.
- Wear personal protective gear correctly and consistently while in the laboratory, following safety protocols.
- Move throughout the laboratory and its various departments, including walking and potentially standing for extended periods.
- Viome is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you require assistance or a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please contact email@example.com to discuss your needs. We will work with you to determine appropriate accommodations to enable you to perform the essential functions of the job.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally protected status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and are committed to creating a workplace that reflects these values.
See more open positions at Viome
Something looks off?