Data Scientist - Clinical Data
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, March 8, 2023
We are advancing AI to power the future of medicine.
At Unlearn, our purpose is to advance artificial intelligence (AI) to eliminate trial and error in medicine. We are developing generative machine learning methods to predict individual health outcomes and accelerate clinical innovation. Today, we are reimagining the randomized control trial (RCT) for the 21st century through AI-powered clinical trials or TwinRCT. A TwinRCT allows more trial patients to receive the experimental treatment, reaches full enrollment faster and put patients first. Our innovative work in AI today will reinvent how AI is applied in medicine tomorrow — and we have a top secret plan for how to get there. We won’t be able to achieve this mission just by applying technologies created by others; the future must be invented.
Unlearn is a technology company, not a biotech company. We use computers, not pipettes. We make and use software, we don’t discover or make drugs. We believe that AI will define the future of medicine, and we aren’t deterred by naysayers or skeptics.
We come from a variety of backgrounds ranging from machine learning to marketing—but regardless of where we come from, Unlearners share some common traits:
>> Unlearners are ambitious; we aren’t intimidated by big, challenging goals.
>> Unlearners are disciplined experimenters; we break down our big goals into smaller chunks and meet as often as necessary to track our velocity and iterate quickly.
>> Unlearners are gritty; we never give up, setbacks just make us try harder.
>> Unlearners are receptive to new ideas; in fact, we hate being stuck with the status quo.
>> Unlearners are storytellers; sharing information with each other and with the world is super important, too important to be boring. And, last but not least,
>> Unlearners are team-oriented; we put the mission first, the company second, the team third, and individuals last.
Founded in 2017 by a team of world-class machine learning scientists, we have raised venture capital from top tier investors such as Insight Partners, Radical Ventures, 8VC, DCVC, and DCVC Bio. We completed our $50 million Series B in April 2022. We are headquartered in San Francisco, CA and have an additional office in Boston, MA.
If our purpose and culture resonate with you, we invite you to apply.
About the Role
Data Scientists working on our Clinical Data teams at Unlearn are responsible for building world class internal data products that enable fundamental advancements in machine learning. Data Scientists collaborate as part of multi-disciplinary teams to leverage high-quality software to build datasets and tailor them for use in machine learning. These teams work across disease areas, constantly learning and growing their capabilities to deliver innovative solutions around clinical data.
- Using our powerful, proprietary software tools to transform clinical trial, observational study, and electronic health data into tidy datasets that empower the machine learning teams.
- Analyzing clinical datasets and understanding outcome measures, biomarkers, and other data measured in clinical trials.
- Collaborating with a team of multi-disciplinary scientists and engineers to build high-quality data products that leverage well-organized data, domain knowledge, and insightful data analysis and documentation.
- Advanced degree (doctorate or master's) in Neuroscience, Psychology, Public Health, or related discipline.
- Experience wrangling data from disparate sources, data cleaning, and harmonizing datasets for analysis.
- Experience working with complex or nuanced datasets.
- Experience or interest in clinical data and improving decision making in healthcare.
- Fluency in Python and its essential data science tools (numpy, pandas).
- Able to come into either our San Francisco or Boston office at least two days a week.
- Demonstrated experience in collaborative software development.
- Experience with clinical datasets in applied machine learning applications.
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams that include scientists, engineers, and product management.
Benefits & Perks
We offer a suite of benefits and perks for our team members, including:
• Company-paid medical, dental, & vision insurance
• 401k plan with generous company matching
• Flexible time off and an annual winter break (December 24 - January 1)
• Professional development budget to attend conferences or other events
• One-time home-office set up stipend
• Commuter benefits to help you get to our offices easily
• Paid Parental Leave
• Equity education and tax advisory services
Unlearn is an equal opportunity employer.
At Unlearn, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, because inclusion and diversity are essential to achieving our mission. If you’re excited about this role, and your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply nevertheless.
See more open positions at Unlearn
Something looks off?