Senior Mechatronics Engineer
Rapidly growing life sciences technology company
Ultima Genomics is a rapidly growing company that is developing ground-breaking genomics technologies. Our mission is to continuously drive the scale of genomic information to enable unprecedented advances in biology and improvements in human health. We have developed a foundational new approach to sequencing at scale that overcomes limitations due to the high costs of current technologies. We are well-funded and have raised approximately $600 million from global top-tier investors. Our team brings together unique and diverse expertise across multiple disciplines, from healthcare and life sciences, to engineering, to technology and software and beyond. We are a collaborative group of more than 350 employees, including successful entrepreneurs, chemists, hardware and software engineers, genomics and biotechnology experts, molecular and computational biologists, software and algorithm experts, and operations and commercial leaders. Join us to develop and commercialize technologies that unleash the power of genomics at scale and empower the future of human health.
We are looking for a highly motivated Senior Mechatronics Engineer to join our team!
How You’ll Contribute
- Lead the development of a custom embedded electronics platform for data acquisition and control, focusing on improving robustness and manufacturability of our instrument platforms.
- Flex between electrical hardware design/integration and application-layer and device driver firmware development.
- Create custom electrical/firmware solutions to replace off-the-shelf components, reducing cost and improving performance.
- Develop and maintain firmware for sub-systems interfacing with sensors and actuators, automating instrument operations, and creating diagnostic tools for hardware and operational fault detection.
- Design PCBs and electrical harnesses to enhance sub-system modularity.
- Validate custom electronics from lab-bench testing and bring up to scaling manufacture.
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- 5 years of relevant experience with bachelor’s degree or 3 years with a master's degree.
- Demonstrated experience in embedded electronics design for industrial instruments and controlling hardware from software (Python, C#, embedded C).
- Proficient in C programming and microcontroller architecture.
- Experience in custom PCB design and mixed-signal processing and proficiency in Electrical CAD packages (Altium, Cadence, or Eagle) for PCB design.
- Strong knowledge of harness component selection, EMI/Shielding strategies, communication protocols (CAN, Ethernet), and analog/digital signal processing.
- In-depth understanding of industrial communication protocols (EtherCAT) is a bonus.
- Hands-on and independent work style with excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
At Ultima Genomics, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. This role pays between $125,000 and $150,000, if performed in California, and your actual base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. This role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; 401(k) retirement plan; flexible spending & health savings account; paid holidays; paid time off; employee assistance program; and other company benefits.