Senior Mechanical Engineer
Rapidly growing life sciences technology company
Ultima Genomics is a rapidly growing company that is developing ground-breaking genomics technologies. Our mission is to continuously drive the scale of genomic information to enable unprecedented advances in biology and improvements in human health. We have developed a foundational new approach to sequencing at scale that overcomes limitations due to the high costs of current technologies. We are well-funded and have raised approximately $600 million from global top-tier investors. Our team brings together unique and diverse expertise across multiple disciplines, from healthcare and life sciences, to engineering, to technology and software and beyond. We are a collaborative group of more than 350 employees, including successful entrepreneurs, chemists, hardware and software engineers, genomics and biotechnology experts, molecular and computational biologists, software and algorithm experts, and operations and commercial leaders. Join us to develop and commercialize technologies that unleash the power of genomics at scale and empower the future of human health.
We are looking for a highly motivated Mechanical Engineer II to join our team!
The Mechanical Engineer II will work on the development of components and systems for a novel life sciences instrument. The instrument is multidisciplinary, involving thermal systems, fluidics, machine design (motors, bearings, stages, etc.), and bio-chemical processes. This position will require a broad engineering skillset, significant hands-on work, and excellent organization/communication skills.
How You'll Contribute
- Carry out design and development of mechanical, robotic, fluidic and thermal components and assemblies from requirements definition to production readiness
- Design and build test fixtures to characterize performance and reliability of hardware systems
- Work with manufacturing, service, and operations teams to develop tests, troubleshoot instrumentation, and document procedures
- Generate detailed drawings and develop work instructions for transfer to manufacturing
- Support the integration of designs with biological and chemical processes, software and electrical systems
- Work with external engineering consultants and fabrication vendors
- Maintain, troubleshoot and upgrade instrumentation as required
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- BS/MS in Mechanical engineering and 3+ years of experience
- Proficient at SolidWorks for CAD and FEA; expertise in sheet metal and/or weldments a plus
- Experience with the full product life cycles from prototyping to production
- Experience with design for manufacture
- Experience with DFMEAs and designing products for improved safety and reliability
- Experience designing and troubleshooting automated laboratory equipment
- Strong knowledge of mechanical engineering fundamentals
- Hands-on style, with excellent organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary environment
- Programming/data analysis skills (Python, MATLAB) a plus
- Willing to commute to Fremont, CA
At Ultima Genomics, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. This role pays between $90,000 and $105,000, if performed in California, and your actual base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. This role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; 401(k) retirement plan; flexible spending & health savings account; paid holidays; paid time off; employee assistance program; and other company benefits.