Manager, R&D - Molecular Biology
We are looking for a manager to lead our synthetic biology R&D team and develop the next generation of products for Twist. Our focus in R&D is the development of a full suite of DNA/RNA/protein products that enable customers in synthetic biology, pharma, industrial agriculture, and others. You will leverage our cutting-edge DNA synthesis platform to develop new products using your knowledge in molecular biology, biochemistry, and computational biology. As a manager of a nimble SynBio R&D team, your work will be partly hands-on in the lab and partly supervisory. You will mentor other scientists in the team, provide guidance and input on all technical aspects of the work in R&D, and ensure that projects are progressing quickly and efficiently. This role is 100% onsite in our South San Francisco headquarters.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of innovation in research roles. A deep understanding of molecular biology, biochemistry, next-generation sequencing, and bioinformatics methods are required. Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing a small team of scientists, including hiring and retaining top talent
- Overseeing the design, execution, and analysis of experiments, including performing some of the wet- and dry-lab work yourself
- Providing technical leadership to other scientists and research associates
- Managing a portfolio of projects centered around the building of tools for the synthetic biology market (DNA oligos, genes, plasmids, RNA, protein)
- Ensuring that product development progresses quickly and efficiently
- Communicating results clearly and succinctly to stakeholders, management, and other teams
- Collaborating with other teams to ensure smooth technology transfer
- Being the ultimate subject matter expert in molecular biology and biochemistry
- PhD with 4+ years post-graduate experience in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Genomics, Chemistry or closely-related field. Experience in at a biotech/life science company is required
- Deep experience developing molecular biology products
- Expert understanding of molecular biology techniques
- Deep knowledge of DNA/RNA/protein analytical and characterization techniques
- Deep understanding of NGS platforms and technologies and hands-on experience with various NGS sequencing applications
- Past experiences demonstrating capabilities to perform basic analysis and communicate needs with bioinformaticians
- Experience developing products for commercial launch
- Experience managing junior scientists
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Dynamic interpersonal skills. Respectful and open to others’ views; contribute to building a positive team spirit
- High attention to detail
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Programming experience is a plus
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.
Something looks off?