Gene Manufacturing - Supervisor
Programmable DNA, the software of Life, is finally here! Twist Bioscience is developing a disruptive Synthetic DNA technology that will change the world, enabling widespread health and sustainability. Synthetic biologists will use our products to engineer how organisms produce cures to diseases, make everyday chemicals by using the atmosphere as the carbon source, enable plants to make their own fertilizers, and to create in-vivo diagnostics that alert us when we are sick, and many more applications.
We are looking for motivated and enthusiastic individuals to join our Twist Bioscience Operations Team in Wilsonville, near Portland, Oregon. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to keep synthetic biology manufacturing on track in a fast-paced start-up environment.
The Gene Manufacturing Supervisor will be very knowledgeable of basic synthetic/molecular biology skills (PCR, vector production, cloning, miniprep, DNA analysis, sequencing, packaging) and will perform, train and/or oversee the production staff on basic molecular biology workflows in a highly automated, high-throughput manner. He or she will be responsible for the manufacture and analysis of a variety of custom gene products across Twist Bioscience’s proprietary workflow. The Manufacturing Supervisor will be the main point of contact for shift operators. He or she will assure the staff is working according to the plan of record, will provide guidance, make decisions on priorities and troubleshooting.
The Manufacturing Supervisor will also be responsible for leading the pass down of information between shifts.
The ideal candidate will work independently, be very neat and organized, have excellent molecular biology skills, maintain and build 5S systems, contribute to process improvement, and documentation, and communicate effectively with peers and management. Knowledge of good laboratory practices (GLPs) and familiarity working in GMP or ISO rated production is necessary.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Manufacturing high-quality custom gene products in a high throughput MFG molecular biology lab according to established SOPs.
- Thoroughly maintaining accurate and detailed documentation of all work performed, batch records
- Operating basic as well as automated lab equipment for molecular biology workflow.
- Tracking the quality metrics by both physical and functional test methods. Initiating any corrective actions necessary to bring production back to expected standards.
- Exercising keen observational skills to proactively identify production problems, then leading technical discussions to provide solutions. Including issues involving lab techniques, protocols, processes and handling of product and equipment.
- Upholding standards as defined by the manufacturing process.
- Supporting continuous cost/process improvement initiatives.
- Promoting and prioritizing a safe work environment.
- Maintaining and calibrating lab equipment.
- Leading shift pass-down efforts and prioritizing work to be done.
- Taking accountability for the shift when senior personnel are not on site.
- Acting as advisor to meet schedules and/or resolve technical problems and provides production guidance to junior MFG personnel.
- Scheduling of staff.
- Reviewing and verifying production batch records and manufacturing documents.
- Writing and submitting incident reports, CAPAs, planned deviations etc.
- Following regulatory and ISO 13485 requirements.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
- S. or B.S. in Biology, Chemistry or Biochemistry.
- 5 year minimum lab experience in manufacturing environment.
- Thorough experience operating liquid handlers such as Hamiltons and Tecans.
- Deep familiarity with molecular biology techniques such as PCR, cell-based cloning, DNA extraction and purification
- Experience with sample tracking software such as LIMS/MES systems, especially when integrated with liquid-handling robots.
- Experience working within a ISO, GMP, LEAN manufacturing environment.
- Sharp data interpretation acumen.
- A track record of delivering process improvements.
- Laboratory management experience.
- Outstanding communication skills and emotional intelligence.
- Physical Requirements
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time while performing duties.
- Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Must be able to work outside of regular work hours/work a flexible shift as needed.
SHIFT 2A: Saturday - Tuesday/ Sunday-Tuesday 7PM-7:30AM 12h day/ 3d /4d alt work week with 1 weekend day
SHIFT 2B: Wednesday-Saturday / Wednesday-Friday 7PM-7:30AM 12h day/ 3d /4d alt work week with 1 weekend day
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.
Something looks off?