Vice President of Data Science
POSITION: Vice President of Data Science
REPORTS TO: Chief Scientific Officer
TWINSTRAND BIOSCIENCES OVERVIEW
TwinStrand Biosciences is a Seattle-based genomics company focused on developing cutting-edge approaches for early detection of cancer, treatment optimization, and risk prediction using our ultra-accurate TwinStrand Duplex Sequencing™ technology. Our technology enables researchers to detect genetic “needles in a haystack”. By identifying ultra-low frequency DNA mutations with a resolution 10,000-fold greater than conventional tools on the market, TwinStrand enables detection, quantification, and characterization of variants that were previously undetectable.
We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Vice President of Data Science.
As the Vice President of Data Science, a senior-level executive, you will be responsible for the strategic vision and successful execution of software, information, and digital technology initiatives at TwinStrand.
The Vice President of Data Science is an executive leadership role responsible for the development and ongoing operation of the company's tools, technologies, and technical solutions leveraging data science, advanced analytics, machine learning and other algorithms. In this role, servant leadership and an unrelenting focus on the continuous improvement and innovation of TwinStrand’s offerings is required. In addition, this role requires skillful technical and scientific leadership for the development and commercialization of useful and proven products to serve end users in academic, industry, government, and regulatory spaces.
You are the ideal Vice President of Data Science if you love working within a high-performance team with passionate collaborators to deliver data-guided and data-driven solutions using best-in-class software development practices. We need your expertise in bringing our Duplex Sequencing technology into expanded research and clinical spaces so that we can continue to pioneer solutions for human health improvement.
- Participate as a member of the executive management team responsible for setting the strategic technical vision of the business and ensuring its successful execution.
- Lead, manage, and grow departments of highly skilled data science and IT teams to execute on all business objectives where data science or IT is required such as software product development and technical professional services.
- Build a world-class culture in the Data Sciences and IT departments known for technical excellence, high employee satisfaction, high productivity, and continuous improvement.
- Through the implementation of quality frameworks, processes, policies, and culture, ensure business objectives can be tracked (e.g., KPIs) and work progress is visible and effectively communicated to executives and other key stakeholders.
- Oversee the software development lifecycle (SDLC), software verification & validation framework, and technical audits (both internal and external) and comply with necessary regulatory standards set by the company (including CAP/CLIA, CFR Part 11, among others) in collaboration with quality and regulatory teams.
- Hire the best. Effectively recruit, incentivize, and retain employees to evolve the culture at TwinStrand while honoring TwinStrand’s values in the pursuit of TwinStrand’s ultimate mission: to do the greatest good for the greatest number of people.
- Work closely with other executives and multiple scientific and operations departments including CLIA lab personnel, biochemical product developers, sales, and marketing to achieve all business objectives.
- Set and execute on strategies for IT infrastructure including security, compute, storage, networking, and disaster recovery. Plan for, procure or build, and implement software applications and capabilities necessary to support current and future organizational needs.
- Manage the relationship and budgets with strategic data, cloud, and IT partners, including vendor searches, contract negotiation, strategic alignment, and operational support.
- Continue to be a publicly recognized leader or intellectual in our field, or adjacent field, through collaborations with other leaders. Seek to contribute back to the community through publishing TwinStrand’s work in high impact journals, presenting at conferences or user group meetings, contributing to open source, or other forms of community engagement.
- Build and manage financial budgets with the capability to forecast financial futures.
- Other duties as needed.
EXPERIENCE AND CAPABILITIES
- College degree in computer science, bioinformatics, data engineering, or related field with 5+ years of experience as a technical independent contributor and multiple successful years of experience in technical management roles with increasing responsibility.
- Excellent overall communication skills and extensive experience leading multiple teams (or a matrix organization) in the successful pursuit of project and business goals.
- Embody a servant leadership approach with a passion for continuous improvement.
- Experienced and proven leader of software projects in academic or industry settings.
- Deep knowledge of cancer genetics, cancer genomics, cancer datasets, and current algorithmic and statistical methods used in the cancer genomics field. Strong understanding of NGS and genomic biomarker analysis with an established comprehension of the unique capabilities of Duplex Sequencing.
- Experience with graph modelling, machine learning, artificial-intelligence, Bayesian analytics or other non-traditional approaches to biological data modelling.
- Experience in leading teams to architect, deploy, and maintain robust software solutions on AWS or similar cloud environments including optimizations for cost and performance.
- Strong understanding of the molecular diagnostics industry and regulatory landscape with proven experience in developing IVD or LDT software for clinical usage.
- A recognized leader or intellectual in our field, or adjacent field, via a publication record, contributions to societies or open-source communities, or other forums.
- Proven ability to coordinate and pursue multiple simultaneous projects to tight deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned.
OUTSTANDING CANDIDATES WILL
- Have a MSc or PhD in computer science, bioinformatics, data engineering, or related field.
- Have experience leading multiple diverse technical teams spanning excellence in technical product development, software management, bioinformatics, data management, on-site or on-cloud IT, and technical quality.
- Have experience leading teams in adherence to clinical, quality, or technical compliance guidelines and frameworks such as CLIA/CAP, ISO9001 or ISO13485, SOC 2 Type I/II, 21 CFR Part 11, and GxP, for example.
- Have strong and recent experience working with both compiled and interpreted computer programming languages and a firm understanding of how they should be used. Expert ability in at least one popular programming languages (e.g., Python, Rust).
PHYSICAL AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to lift fifteen pounds at times.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- On-site, remote, and hybrid working arrangements are available, however, this job will require you to be present at our Seattle headquarters a few times a year for team building or strategic planning purposes.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A mission to be proud of; you will help to provide access to a technology with unprecedented sensitivity that makes it possible to solve previously unsolvable scientific problems in basic research and translational medicine, with direct and immediate benefits to human health
- Beautiful waterfront facility overlooking Elliott Bay with parking available
- Competitive compensation plan
- Comprehensive benefits: medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents, sponsored life, short and long-term disability insurance, and 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Subsidized transportation program: parking, bus, ferry, rideshare, and more.
- Onsite gym, showers, bike storage
- Social events, happy hours, well-stocked kitchen
- Recognition that outside life exists and is important, that flexibility is needed for family and that work can sometimes be effectively carried out remotely
- Casual, but high-performing work environment
ABOUT TWINSTRAND BIOSCIENCES
We are a vibrant, young company committed to applying a powerful new genomic technology across disciplines to improve human health and accelerate scientific discovery. Our mission is to develop and deliver the unprecedented accuracy of duplex sequencing for applications in the life sciences and medicine where it can do the greatest good for the maximum number of people.
Our business is multifaceted and encompasses internal development projects, external collaborations, and empowering of our partner organizations and customers. Our mission is strongly rooted in academic principles of responsible citizenship within the broader scientific community, yet executed with the nimbleness of a startup, such that research can be rapidly translated into solutions that benefit the scientific and medical community. To the greatest extent possible, we strive for open sharing of knowledge and discovery through academic presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
At TwinStrand we put a premium on creativity, dynamic thinking, and a rigorous scientific approach. You will be challenged to push the boundaries of your knowledge, skills, and comfort zone and to take ownership of your area of expertise. We expect all team members to take on some form of leadership role over time and mentor new team members as we continue to expand. We want every member of our community to come to work excited each day and able to take pride in the high-quality science to improve human health that they are contributing to.
TwinStrand Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.