Director / Associate Director of Production Bioinformatics
POSITION: Director / Associate Director of Production Bioinformatics
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Data Sciences
DEPARTMENT: Data Sciences
TWINSTRAND BIOSCIENCES OVERVIEW
TwinStrand Biosciences is a Seattle-based genomics company focused on developing cutting-edge approaches for early detection of cancer, treatment optimization, and risk prediction using our ultra-accurate TwinStrand Duplex Sequencing™ technology. Our technology enables researchers to detect genetic “needles in a haystack”. By identifying ultra-low frequency DNA mutations with a resolution 10,000-fold greater than conventional tools on the market, TwinStrand enables detection, quantification, and characterization of variants that were previously undetectable.
TwinStrand Biosciences is seeking an experienced and technically proficient Director of Production Bioinformatics to lead a team of bioinformatics engineers, scientists and technical product managers who develop comprehensive cloud genomics tools and pipelines. The solutions implemented by the production bioinformatics team are a critical component in TwinStrand’s scientific operations and R&D capability. These tools and pipelines continuously serve internal biochemical, bioinformatics, application scientists, clinical operators, organization collaborators, as well as TwinStrand’s own kit and service customers.
As a part of the Data Sciences Department, you will lead a team that will implement some of the
most mission critical high-throughput data analysis solutions at TwinStrand. An ideal candidate for the Director of Production Bioinformatics role not only has experience leading a team of bioinformatics engineers but also has strong domain experience in managing modern NGS tool and pipeline projects on cloud platforms, all while having ideals for rigorous bioinformatics development and software excellence. An ideal candidate will have prior management experience and an attitude of servant in the pursuit of team enabled bioinformatics engineering achievement.
You are the ideal Director of Production Bioinformatics if you love enabling a high-performance team, in a collaborative environment, to deliver modern high-quality software solutions. We need your excellent team management ability to bring our Duplex Sequencing
technology to more researchers and clinicians so we can continue to pioneer solutions for human health improvement.
- Lead cross-functional team to develop, validate, deploy, release, and maintain accurate and well-architected core R&D and production software (RUO/clinical) for high-throughput NGS data processing (tools and pipelines) in cloud environments.
- Mentor, train, coach, and enable a cross-functional team by providing scientific and technical expertise/direction and leadership.
- Collaborate with other leaders in Data Sciences to define department policies as well as execute on cross-functional departmental projects with a focus on software engineering best practices.
- Understand, and effectively communicate, priorities, project status, department directives, and other activities relevant to company goals to ensure successful and efficient operations.
- Collaborate with stakeholders within and outside of the department in product management, marketing, operations as well as scientists in R&D, custom applications, and technical support to advance bioinformatics at TwinStrand.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND CAPABILITIES
- At least a B.S. in computer science, bioinformatics, engineering, or related field.
- Previous experience managing a team of software professionals.
- Deep understanding of the software development lifecycle in a modern biotech and ability to guide and coach software engineers on technical trade-offs, designs, and implementations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork-enabling skills.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language with ability in others, preferably Python, Scala, R, Rust.
- Experience developing genomics tools and pipelines and containerizing workflows.
- Experience developing and validating software for clinical use.
- Competency with cloud development and deployment (e.g., AWS).
- Expert knowledge of current bioinformatics analysis methods, file formats, resources.
- Proficient with software engineering best practices, developing production-level code and using version control tools.
PHYSICAL AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Hybrid or fully remote (must be able to maintain home office) allowed.
- Ability to travel nationally up to 10% of time for conferences and headquarters visits.
OUTSTANDING CANDIDATES WILL
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in computer science, engineering, or related field.
- Proven scientific or engineering reputation as demonstrated by publication and/or contribution to successful product development in the biotech industry.
- Prior biotechnology industry experience, startup company a plus.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A mission to be proud of. You will help to provide access to a technology with unprecedented sensitivity that makes it possible to solve previously unsolvable scientific problems in basic research and translational medicine, with direct and immediate benefits to human health.
- Beautiful new waterfront facility overlooking Puget Sound, centrally located in downtown Seattle.
- Competitive compensation plan.
- Comprehensive benefits: medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents, sponsored life, short and long-term disability insurance, and 401(k) retirement savings plan with company matching.
- Subsidized transportation program: parking, bus, ferry, rideshare and more.
- Onsite gym, showers, bike storage.
- Social events, weekly happy hours, well-stocked kitchen.
- Recognition that outside life exists and is important, that flexibility is needed for family and that work can sometimes be effectively carried out remotely.
- Casual, but high-performing work environment.
ABOUT TWINSTRAND BIOSCIENCES
We are a vibrant, young company committed to applying a powerful new genomic technology across disciplines to improve human health and accelerate scientific discovery. Our mission is to develop and deliver the unprecedented accuracy of duplex sequencing for applications in the life sciences and medicine where it can do the greatest good for the maximum number of people.
Our business is multifaceted and encompasses internal development projects, external collaborations, and empowering of our partner organizations and customers. Our mission is strongly rooted in academic principles of responsible citizenship within the broader scientific community, yet executed with the nimbleness of a startup, such that research can be rapidly translated into solutions that benefit the scientific and medical community. To the greatest extent possible, we strive for open sharing of knowledge and discovery through academic presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
At TwinStrand we put a premium on creativity, dynamic thinking, and a rigorous scientific approach. You will be challenged to push the boundaries of your knowledge, skills, and comfort zone and to take ownership of your area of expertise. We expect all team members to take on some form of leadership role over time and mentor new team members as we continue to expand. We want every member of our community to come to work excited each day and able to take pride in the high-quality science to improve human health that they are contributing to.
TwinStrand Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.