POSITION: Patent Agent
REPORTS TO: General Counsel
TWINSTRAND BIOSCIENCES OVERVIEW
TwinStrand Biosciences is a Seattle-based genomics company focused on developing cutting-edge approaches for cancer detection, treatment optimization, and risk prediction using our ultra-accurate TwinStrand Duplex Sequencing™ technology. Our technology enables researchers and clinicians to detect genetic “needles in a haystack.” By identifying ultra-low frequency DNA mutations with a resolution 10,000-fold greater than conventional tools on the market, TwinStrand enables detection, quantification, and characterization of variants that were previously undetectable.
TwinStrand Biosciences is looking for an exceptional Patent Agent to join our legal team. The TwinStrand legal team is a key contributor to the company’s value and building and growing our intellectual property portfolio is a prioritized function as we continue to develop new technologies and introduce game-changing accuracy to DNA sequencing applications across medicine and research.
The Patent Agent will have primary responsibility for helping to build and maintain a strong IP portfolio, including working with many of our scientists to identify and protect our innovations. This individual will also work on a variety of special intellectual property projects as identified by the General Counsel.
A strong understanding of U.S. and international intellectual property laws and a solid understanding of genomics, biotechnology, and next generation sequencing (NGS) technology (or the ability to quickly develop this understanding) are vital to success in this role. The ideal candidate will be consistent, efficient, responsive to urgency, be organized, and have obsessive attention to detail and deadlines. We are looking for someone who enjoys working in patent law, embraces learning, is a team player.
The Patent Agent will help drive the creation of new patent applications as well as grow the existing patent estate, including working with us on:
- U.S. patent application drafting, including provisional and nonprovisional applications
- U.S. and foreign patent prosecution, including all office actions, examination reports, and other correspondence from patent offices
- Managing docket for all patent-related deadlines
- Providing IP landscape, patentability, FTO and due diligence assessments
- Reviewing proposed publications and presentations for potential impact on the IP portfolio
- Liaising with external legal counsel
- Educating and advising employees on IP matters
- Managing and updating internal IP-related materials and database
- IP portfolio strategy
- Provide review of papers, posters, and marketing material before publication
EXPERIENCE AND CAPABILITIES
- MS/PhD in Biological Sciences - preferably genomics, biotechnology, molecular biology, biochemistry and/or bioinformatics expertise.
- 3-6 years of in-house or law firm experience in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, preferably directed to genomics or biotechnology
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Familiarity with scientific and IP databases
- Excellent writing, analytical and communication skills
- Organized, detail-oriented and strong abilities to work in teams
- Strong prioritizing skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities, and ability to quickly adjust to shifting priorities and demanding deadlines
WHAT WE OFFER
- A mission to be proud of. You will help to provide access to a technology with unprecedented sensitivity that makes it possible to solve previously unsolvable scientific problems in basic research and translational medicine, with direct and immediate benefits to human health.
- Opportunity to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment that prioritizes IP activities
- Opportunity for career development and additional training sessions and seminars
- Beautiful waterfront facility overlooking Puget Sound, centrally located in downtown Seattle.
- Ambitious and challenging company goals.
- Competitive compensation plan.
- Comprehensive benefits: medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents, sponsored life, short and long-term disability insurance, and 401(k) retirement savings plan with company matching.
- Subsidized transportation program: parking, bus, ferry, rideshare and more.
- Onsite gym, showers, bike storage.
- Social events, weekly happy hours, well-stocked kitchen.
- Recognition that outside life exists and is important, that flexibility is needed for family and that work can sometimes be effectively carried out remotely.
- Casual, but high-performing work environment.
ABOUT TWINSTRAND BIOSCIENCES
We are a vibrant, young company committed to applying a powerful new genomic technology across disciplines to improve human health and accelerate scientific discovery. Our mission is to develop and deliver the unprecedented accuracy of duplex sequencing for applications in the life sciences and medicine where it can do the greatest good for the maximum number of people.
Our business is multifaceted and encompasses internal development projects, external collaborations, and empowering of our partner organizations and customers. Our mission is strongly rooted in academic principles of responsible citizenship within the broader scientific community, yet executed with the nimbleness of a startup, such that research can be rapidly translated into solutions that benefit the scientific and medical community. To the greatest extent possible, we strive for open sharing of knowledge and discovery through academic presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
At TwinStrand we put a premium on creativity, dynamic thinking, and a rigorous scientific approach. You will be challenged to push the boundaries of your knowledge, skills, and comfort zone and to take ownership of your area of expertise. We expect all team members to take on some form of leadership role over time and mentor new team members as we continue to expand. We want every member of our community to come to work excited each day and able to take pride in the high-quality science to improve human health that they are contributing to.
TwinStrand Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.