Senior Scientist - Molecular Design
Terray Therapeutics is a venture-backed biotechnology company led by pioneers and long-time leaders in artificial intelligence, synthetic chemistry, automation, and nanotechnology. We’re generating chemical data purpose-built to propel drug discovery into the information age — and we’re doing it on a larger scale and faster than has ever before been possible. Our closed loop system generates precise chemical datasets at unrivaled scale that work seamlessly with AI to systematically map biochemical interactions between small molecules and causes of disease. Iterative cycles of virtual molecular design and experimentation power AI and machine learning models, which in turn guide the next cycle of design. With a chemistry engine that measures billions of interactions daily and becomes increasingly precise with every cycle, we can answer an unprecedented array of questions — deriving insights that enable us to predictably create drugs for patients in need.
Terray is currently seeking a motivated, creative, and experienced senior scientist to join our molecular design group. As an integral member of the Computational and Data Sciences (CDS) team, the candidate will contribute to hit-to-lead and lead optimization efforts across multiple programs, leveraging our vast chemical datasets and proprietary wet-lab + computational platforms to power state-of-the-art small molecule design. In this interdisciplinary role, the candidate will work closely with the chemistry and biology functions at Terray, as well as the machine learning and data science teams within CDS.
The core responsibilities of this position are:
- Design small molecules with in-house, high-throughput computational tools using both structural models and ligand-based data from our proprietary screening platform
- Develop workflows to triage and further investigate hits from our screens
- Design multi-million member combinatorial libraries to drive small molecule programs in hit-to-lead and lead optimization
- Develop and evaluate models to predict affinity and other properties of interest in collaboration with the machine learning team, and apply them prospectively for virtual screening and design (including generative design)
- Communicate molecular design strategy and outcomes to teams across the company
Experience and Qualifications
Part of Terray’s success is nurtured by a hands-on work environment where everyone is accountable, vested in a vision of excellence, and actively taking part in the success of the business. Terray supports a positive work environment where employees can feel engaged, recognized and empowered to be creative.
- BS/MS/Ph.D in computational, organic, or medicinal chemistry, or a related field
- Experience applying ligand-based and structure-based methods to designing small molecules for multiple drug discovery projects
- Experience working with medicinal chemists to optimize ADME and safety issues
- Experience triaging large data sets from virtual screens, DEL screens, and/or HTS
- Experience with RDKit, one molecular simulation suite (Schrodinger, MOE, etc.), and one docking program (AutoDock Vina, rDock, etc.)
- Proficient in Python and the PyData stack (numpy, pandas, scipy, scikit-learn, etc.)
$132,000 - $240,000 (annually) depending on seniority; participation in the Company's option plan; 3% 401K contribution; full benefits