Cell Engineering Associate/Specialist
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 5, 2023
Synthego is enabling genome engineering at scale with a blend of scientific instrumentation, industrial automation, and data science. Our team of scientists and engineers are putting multidisciplinary fields together to solve problems that no one field could tackle alone. We are searching for Cell Engineers to join our Engineered Cells Operations team and help create the world’s first fully automated Genome Engineering lab.
Leveling is based on experience and will be assessed during the interview process.
Day: 6:30am-3:00pm - Tuesday-Saturday
Swing: 2:30pm-11:00pm - Sunday-Thursday
Swing: 2:30pm-11:00pm - Tuesday-Saturday
Training Schedule:Training will take up to 3 months. Training is typically conducted M - F from 8:00am to 5:00pm, however, is subject to change due to staffing and training needs. After training is complete, you will work the hours/days of the week you were hired for.
What You'll Do:
- Engineer immortalized and/or hiPSC cells using CRISPR-Cas9, ultimately generating a pool or clonal population
- Perform daily cell culture tasks including feeds, expands, and cryopreservation
- Operate laboratory automation (liquid handling systems, clonal expansion systems)
- Perform daily operational checks, calibrations, and maintenance as required
- Extract genomic DNA, perform PCR assembly, and analyze samples using gel electrophoresis
- Review Sanger Sequencing data and determine next steps in the manufacturing process
- Receive and prepare laboratory reagents; update LIMS during the manufacturing process
- Maintain laboratory inventory, equipment, record-keeping and administrative tasks for cell line maintenance and related projects
- Draft and revise manufacturing standard operating procedures (SOPs) and work instructions (WIs)
- Perform laboratory cleaning and maintenance as per rotation schedule
- Acquire and analyze microscopy images
- Participate in company meetings and present data and project plans
- Work closely with Process Engineering to define user requirements for new technologies and to execute performance qualification (PQ) experiments
- BS in molecular and cell biology or biology-related field with a minimum of 1 year of cell culture experience
- Experience working with a variety of immortalized lines
- Excellent aseptic technique and understanding of contamination control
- Strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally with various personas
- Team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with transfections and genetic engineering of mammalian cells
- Direct experience handling induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) or primary cells
- Experience with flow cytometry
- Familiarity with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
Company Perks & Benefits:
- Generous equity
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401k Program
- Subsidized catered lunches and dinners with a fully stocked kitchen & snacks
- Onsite Gym
- Daily Shuttle bus to & from San Francisco
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Synthego is a genome engineering company that enables the acceleration of life science research and development in the pursuit of improved human health.
The company leverages machine learning, automation, and gene editing to build platforms for science at scale. With its foundations in engineering disciplines, the company’s platforms vertically integrate proprietary hardware, software, bioinformatics, chemistries, and molecular biology to advance basic research, target validation, and clinical trials.
By providing both commercial and academic researchers and therapeutic developers with unprecedented access to cutting-edge genome engineering, Synthego is at the forefront of innovation, accelerating the development of truly engineered biology.
See more open positions at Synthego
Something looks off?