Product Manager, Data Infrastructure and Management
Sema4 is a patient-centered health intelligence company dedicated to advancing healthcare through data-driven insights. Sema4 is transforming healthcare by applying AI and machine learning to multidimensional, longitudinal clinical and genomic data to build dynamic models of human health and defining optimal, individualized health trajectories. Centrellis®, our innovative health intelligence platform, is enabling us to generate a more complete understanding of disease and wellness and to provide science-driven solutions to the most pressing medical needs. Sema4 believes that patients should be treated as partners, and that data should be shared for the benefit of all.
The Product Manager, Data Infrastructure and Management delivers and supports data infrastructure products that convert molecular diagnostic laboratory assay data to insights about the molecular makeup of patient cells. These products are the core of sophisticated clinical diagnostics serving thousands of patients per week and enable high-volume research projects in human disease. As part of the Data Infrastructure and Management team in the Production Bioinformatics department, the Product Manager will work closely with the scientific director and the lead engineer of each software and database product to define and execute the translation of scientific and engineering innovation into high-throughput analysis methods for a data sciences company. The product manager is responsible for clear definition and timely delivery of the data products and their successful integration and deployment as part of Sema4’s data sciences platform built by collaborative inter-disciplinary teams (science, engineering, clinical, and business/product).
- Own and manage the roadmap, feature backlog, work plan, and release schedule for a portfolio of data infrastructure products by closely working with scientific, clinical, business, product, scientific compute/IT, and project management teams to make the large volume of data generated at Sema4 accessible programmatically and via user interfaces to serve business needs
- Translate business requirements for these data products into detailed technical requirements, designs, specifications, and work definitions for scientific and engineering teams
- Carry out detailed design and write technical specifications for features, workflows, data flows, application programming interfaces (APIs), file formats, data schemas, and data payloads used within these databases and applications as well as for communication of these specifications to other users and product owners in the Sema4 analytics ecosystem
- Estimate product delivery time, effort, risks, and dependencies in collaboration with project management on other teams, as well as communicate status updates between all levels
- Communicate about complex technical/scientific problems between teams and stakeholders at all levels and work with them to solve, as well as generally facilitate inter-team communication by mocking up illustrative examples that help people from diverse backgrounds find a common understanding
- Support the data products for a multitude of users and data consumers at Sema4 by becoming a subject matter expert and serving as the products’ primary representative and contact person, including providing training
- Co-lead the execution and continuous improvement of the software development life cycle (SDLC) of the data pipeline product portfolio
- Write and maintain clear business and technical documentation for target audiences from various backgrounds (scientific, software/IT, clinical, business, project management)
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant computational or biomedical field.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience, e.g. software product development, software engineering or programming, data science or analysis, bioinformatics/genomics research, systems engineering
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including via visualizations, on inter-disciplinary teams about complex technical topics
- Some programming experience, especially in Python, R, and SQL
- Knowledge of git and software management/lifecycle
- Knowledge of AWS products such as S3, RDS, DynamoDB, Redshift, Lambda, and Elastic Beanstalk are a plus but not required
- Knowledge of MongoDB or other NoSQL database a plus