Director, Internal Audit
Sema4 is a patient-centered health intelligence company founded on the idea that more information, deeper analysis, and increased engagement will improve the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. Sema4 is dedicated to transforming healthcare by building dynamic models of human health and defining optimal, individualized health trajectories, starting in the areas of reproductive health and oncology. Centrellis™, our innovative health intelligence platform, is enabling us to generate a more complete understanding of disease and wellness and to provide science-driven solutions to the most pressing medical needs. Sema4 believes that patients should be treated as partners, and that data should be shared for the benefit of all.
Sema4 is seeking an experienced Director, Internal Audit to help monitor and support the integrity of the Sema4’s control involvement. You must be a proactive self-sufficient individual who enjoys working in a challenging, hyper-growth environment. Communication skills, attention to detail and an objective approach to learning and problem-solving is a must. You will work collaboratively with cross-functional business process owners as well as external auditors and consultants. The team’s mission, of which you will help lead, is to promote and ensure effective controls and best practices throughout the Company.Â The primary objective in year one of the group will be to ensure Sema4 is SOX compliant as a first year public Company.Â The role will report to the Head of Internal Audit.
- Develop, design and implement a high-quality SOX program providing the necessary leadership and oversight to ensure the achievement of company-wide SOX compliance for Year 1 post going public.
- Assist in enterprise business process-specific risk assessments to evaluate/address any impact the results may have on the control environment.
- Assist in the design and implementation of efficient and effective controls in all departments across within the organization.
- Validate that control environment documentation (e.g., process flows/control matrices) are kept current.
- Conduct periodic meetings/walkthroughs with process owners to ensure any changes to process are updated and properly assessed for control gaps.
- Help develop and execute the annual test plan for evaluating key controls for operating effectiveness. Development will include setting the timing of when testing will be performed during the year, determining a sampling approach, designing test plans, and establishing effective protocol for the evaluation, resolution, and escalation of any exceptions. Execution will include testing, reviewing work papers, and promptly facilitating the remediation of any exceptions with process owners in a timely manner.
- Stay current to changes in regulatory guidance, industry best practices, and areas of focus/hot topics for external audits.
- Build and manage relationships with Company stakeholders, while promoting the importance of compliance initiatives throughout the organization.
- Supporting process owners through training, reviewing, and providing guidance for their processes.
- Support the Head of Internal Audit in reporting status and results to Management and Audit Committee, as well as be the main point of contact for our external auditors for any control-related matters relevant to their audit procedures.
- Participate in other compliance initiatives and/or internal audit-related functions the Company may engage.
- Assist with building out a team as well as external consultants supporting the SOX compliance effort
- 8+ years of public & private accounting experience
- Knowledge & experience in applying audit principles/standards & SOX guidance as well as the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF)
- Strong organizational & time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, as candidate must be able to work & communicate with individuals at all levels across the organization as well as external consultants
- CPA, CIA, CISA and/or CISSP, a plus
- Life Sciences industry experience, a plus
- IT General Controls & Application Controls experience, a plus
- Experience with NetSuite, Telcor and/or AuditBoard, a plus