Medical Director/Sr. Medical Director, Clinical Development (MD and Phase I Oncology Experience Required)
Scorpion Therapeutics is a precision oncology company founded in February 2020 by a preeminent group of scientists from Harvard University/Massachusetts General Hospital – Keith Flaherty, MD, Gaddy Getz, Ph.D. and Liron Bar-Peled, Ph.D. The company has raised $270M in Series A and Series B financings led by blue-chip investors, including Atlas Venture, Boxer Capital of Tavistock Group, EcoR1 Capital, LLC, Omega Funds, and Vida Venture.
Scorpion Therapeutics’ mission is to serve oncology patients by discovering and developing best-in-class and first-in-class, small molecule cancer medicines that address large patient segments with significant unmet medical needs. To accomplish this mission, we are building a highly collaborative team focused on the pursuit of novel approaches to small molecule drug discovery. This approach relies upon dynamic collaboration between cancer biology, proteomics, informatics, structural biology and medicinal chemistry – with the ultimate goal of realizing the full potential of targeted/precision oncology.
As a Medical Director/Sr. Medical Director at Scorpion Therapeutics, you will be responsible for providing medical leadership and expertise in the development of novel oncology therapies, with a focus on Phase I clinical trials. You will be driving the early clinical development of novel (first-in-class or best-in-class) Oncology assets from IND preparation to proof-of-concept. Your role will involve planning and executing first-in-human Phase 1 clinical studies. You will join a cross-functional team and you will work closely with study investigators. Your responsibility includes the medical monitoring of emerging safety- and efficacy signals associated with our investigational treatments. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to groundbreaking advancements in cancer research and patient care.
- Medical Monitoring: Act as the primary medical monitor for ongoing clinical trials, providing medical oversight and ensuring the safety and welfare of study participants.
- Clinical Development Strategy: Develop and execute clinical development strategies for Phase I oncology trials, ensuring alignment with the company's goals and regulatory requirements.
- Protocol Development: Lead the development of clinical trial protocols, investigator brochures, and other study-related documents.
- Regulatory Compliance: Maintain a deep understanding of relevant regulatory guidelines and ensure that all clinical activities adhere to regulatory standards and Good Clinical Practice (GCP).
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including Clinical Operations, Biostatistics, Translational Research and Regulatory Affairs, to ensure the successful execution of clinical trials.
- Investigator Engagement: Build and maintain relationships with study investigators and key opinion leaders (KOLs) in the field of oncology.
- Data Analysis: Contribute to the analysis and interpretation of clinical trial data, preparing summaries and reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Safety Reporting: Oversee the safety reporting process, including the evaluation of adverse events and the implementation of risk mitigation strategies.
- Medical Affairs Support: Support the Medical Affairs team in the development of educational materials and scientific presentations.
- Medical Doctor (MD) degree with board certification in Oncology preferred but not required.
- Prior experience in a Medical Director role with a strong focus on oncology drug development
- Current, ‘hands-on’ involvement as medical monitor in an ongoing or recently finished Phase 1 Oncology study
- Experience in Oncology research beneficial for the role
- In-depth knowledge of clinical trial design, GCP, and regulatory requirements.
- Proven ability to lead and collaborate with cross-functional Phase 1 teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation abilities.
- Understanding of the latest advancements and trends in oncology research and treatment.
Scorpion Therapeutics Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer who strives to create and maintain a diverse working environment. We do not discriminate for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Beginning October 13, 2021, Scorpion Therapeutics requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or because of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.