Director/Sr. Director, Biochemical and Cellular Pharmacology
Scorpion Therapeutics is a precision oncology company founded in February 2020 by a preeminent group of scientists from Harvard University/Massachusetts General Hospital – Keith Flaherty, MD, Gaddy Getz, Ph.D. and Liron Bar-Peled, Ph.D. The company has raised $270M in Series A and Series B financings led by blue-chip investors, including Atlas Venture, Boxer Capital of Tavistock Group, EcoR1 Capital, LLC, Omega Funds, and Vida Venture.
Scorpion Therapeutics’ mission is to serve oncology patients by discovering and developing best-in-class and first-in-class, small molecule cancer medicines that address large patient segments with significant unmet medical needs. To accomplish this mission, we are building a highly collaborative team focused on the pursuit of novel approaches to small molecule drug discovery. This approach relies upon dynamic collaboration between cancer biology, proteomics, informatics, structural biology and medicinal chemistry – with the ultimate goal of realizing the full potential of targeted/precision oncology.
As Director/Sr. Director of Biochemical and Cellular Pharmacology, you will lead a team of talented scientists in the design, development and execution of biochemical and cellular assays to help advance Scorpion’s small molecule drug discovery programs. You will provide leadership in establishing and implementing in vitro screening strategies to drive Scorpion’s projects from hit ID to development candidate selection. This is a unique opportunity to work closely with a skilled group of scientists representing medicinal chemistry, computational chemistry, biology, structural biology and other disciplines to identify new targets and hits and advance programs to the clinic.
- Lead a team of scientists and RAs in the design, development, validation, and implementation of novel biochemical/biophysical and cellular assays for the identification, profiling, and mechanistic characterization of small molecule compounds.
- Develop sensitive and robust biochemical and cell-based assays and translate proof-of-concept assays into high-quality, microtiter plate-assays that have been optimized & validated to meet predefined standards of performance.
- Manage external FTEs and troubleshoots methods at CROs, for compound library screenings and weekly assays.
- QC and analyze data & document all findings & discoveries in an electronic lab notebook in a timely manner.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in biology, chemical biology, informatics, structural biology and medicinal chemistry to define and develop screening cascades for Scorpion’s novel targets, advancing programs from early hit-finding through candidate selection.
- Contribute to multiple projects simultaneously and manage diverse team interactions.
- Proactively communicate strategy, critical issues, and recommendations to enable appropriate resource decisions.
- Maintain excellent communication across internal and external colleagues.
- Ph.D. in relevant field with 10+ years of industry experience.
- Strong background in biochemistry, molecular biology, and cell biology, and experience in early drug discovery.
- A deep and broad understanding of the development, validation & execution of a wide array of binding & biochemical/cellular functional assays such as AlphaLISA, TR-FRET/HTRF, ELISA, NanoBRET, FP, SPR, MST and DSF.
- High technical proficiency in implementing protocols for multi-modal plate readers (e.g., Envision, Neo, PHERAstar), liquid handlers (e.g., Multidrop Combi, Echo acoustic dispensers, digital dispensers) & other automated laboratory equipments (e.g., stackers/plate hotels, robotic arms, incubators, etc.).
- Expertise in handling, analyzing and visualizing large data sets coming out of screening assays.
- Direct experience in working with and characterizing challenging proteins.
- Ability to provide expert knowledge on the biochemical mechanisms of small molecule interactions with protein targets of interest.
- A strong record of achievement, including contributing to drug discovery programs and publications in high-impact journals.
- Commitment to the highest-quality research with outstanding organizational abilities and scientific execution.
- Outstanding decision making, organizational and analytical skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
Scorpion Therapeutics Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer who strives to create and maintain a diverse working environment. We do not discriminate for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Beginning October 13, 2021, Scorpion Therapeutics requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or because of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.