Manager, Machine Learning - Applied Computer Vision
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You’ll Make:
Recursion has built a unique dataset (over 1 million unique biological perturbations profiled in a high-dimensional biological assay, making up nearly 20 PB of highly-relatable data) and a unique approach to phenotypic drug discovery using our inference-based Recursion Map to predict tens of billions of relationships between disease models and therapeutic candidates. The Machine Learning manager position offers a unique opportunity to use this data and approach to break new ground in machine learning for drug discovery and directly accelerate the path to the clinic for Recursion’s therapeutic candidates.
- Guide Recursion’s strategy for computer vision to optimally extract biological relationships from our cellular imaging platform.
- Build and manage a team of machine learning scientists, machine learning engineers, and data scientists to develop methods, models, and benchmarks focused on translating image data into biologically-relevant representations and actionable insights.
- Innovate machine learning methods with a team of data scientists, machine learning scientists, and engineers to leverage Recursion’s uniquely broad and deep multi-petabyte biological imaging dataset.
- Collaborate with other leaders in data science, automation, engineering, and product to define applications for computer vision methods in biological discovery and high throughput screening and deliver robust, scalable models for production usage.
- Deliver excellence in strategy, implementation, and application of computer vision technologies to accelerate Recursion’s drug discovery efforts and asset pipeline.
The Team You’ll Join:
You will report to the Director of Applied Computer Vision. You will manage a group of Machine Learning Scientists & Engineers that develop, own, and improve upon some of our core computer vision models for cell microscopy images. In your role, you define important aspects of Recursion’s roadmap for computer vision microscopy in collaboration with other leaders in Data Science, Engineering, Biology, and Product in service of Recursion’s high-level goals and long-term vision. You will also have the opportunity to collaborate with our research team in Montreal which is housed within the prominent DL research community: Mila.
The Experience You’ll Need:
- 5 years of hands-on experience in computer vision, with extensive experience applying modern machine learning methods. Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field is a plus. Drug discovery experience is a plus.
- Experience designing, executing, and delivering applied deep learning projects, especially in biology or medicine.
- Experience scoping and resourcing projects for teams. Experience balancing timelines, and managing collaborator expectations.
- Passion for people management. Experience hiring and managing rapidly growing, highly collaborative teams of computational scientists (complete employee lifecycles, e.g. hiring, onboarding, individual development, performance reviews, and exits).
- Outstanding past projects, publications, or presentations.
- Curiosity and the professional skill set to excel in an open, highly collaborative, and growth-oriented environment.
- To be considered for Senior Manager/Associate Director: 3+ years in a direct management role and experience managing multiple teams.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.
Something looks off?