Associate Director of Data Science and Engineering, Invivomics
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You'll Make
- Enable your teams for scale - Grow, mentor and manage a cross-disciplinary team of skilled Data Scientists, ML, and Software Engineers that Digitize in vivo drug discovery studies at scale for the purpose of de-risking and accelerating drug discovery and development.
- Act as a mentor, coach, and sponsor - You will share your technical, leadership and managerial skills and experiences, delivering impact, learning, and growth across teams at Recursion. We believe that the best work comes from working across organizational boundaries and you will have opportunities to partner with groups across the business.
- Develop the InVivomics platforms - The InVivomics platform was built to transform the conduct, analysis, and interpretation of preclinical animal studies to enable more sensitive, proactive and reproducible assessment of a disease phenotype and compound effects. The Invivomics team partners with the Recursion Vivarium (RV), which handles the operations for the execution of digital studies.
The Team You'll Join
The Digital Vivarium Innovation is an interdisciplinary team of Data Scientists, Machine Learning and Software Engineers encompassing a broad range of tasks. Foremost, they develop and leverage a digital platform to refine and authenticate the biological foundation of Recursion's drug discovery efforts. This includes standardizing and incorporating multiple useful animal assays into a growing databank of biological data, enabling continual active learning and improvement of compound insights. Additionally, this team develops high-dimensional representations of animal behavior which are used to model disease and compound tolerability, relate phenotypic responses across studies and generate insights that aid in the discovery of safe and efficacious therapies.
As leader of this team, you will report to the Director of Engineering and will have a peer group of engineering managers and associate directors that work together on the craft of engineering leadership. You'll also work closely with directors of data science and product managers to plan and execute exciting new approaches to industrialize discovery and validation in animal models. We all work better when we have the support of those around us and are learning together to solve problems across our teams.
This position is based at our headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah, Milpitas, CA or our office in Toronto, Ontario.
The Experience You'll Need
- Experience as Software/ML Engineering or Data Science manager/director, and excitement for deeply engaging in technical discussions and decisions drive forward research and industrialization.
- Familiarity with machine learning and AI advances and a passion to apply them in new ways for drug discovery and validation.
- Experience leading technical teams using both technical and interpersonal skills to achieve results.
- A people-first mindset. We deliver in a way that prioritizes supporting our coworkers in their growth and experience.
- Demonstration of a record of learning from and teaching peers in areas of performance, scalability, and system architecture.
- Experience working across a business on highly collaborative projects.
- Excitement to learn parts of our tech stack that you might not already know and jump in and get your hands on code when needed. Our current tech stack includes: Python, React, BigQuery, Postgres,. PyTorch, Kubernetes, large scale distributed systems. Our cloud services are provided by Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services.
How You’ll be Supported
- Peer mentor assigned for onboarding during first 90 days
- Work is typically completed using mobbing or pairing
- Regular 1:1s with supervisor for support and feedback
- Weekly retros facilitate team cohesion
- A generous benefits package and daily lunch (depending on location)
- Attendance to one technical conference per year paid for by company
At Recursion, we believe that every employee should be compensated fairly. Based on the skill and level of experience required for this role, the estimated current annual base range for this role is:
- Developing: $243,000 CAD
- Skilled: $257,000 CAD
- Expert: $275,000 CAD
To learn more about our level within levels, click here.
You will also be eligible for bonuses and equity compensation + our comprehensive benefits package for United States based candidates. The range displayed on each job posting reflects target ranges for US new hire salaries and is determined by job, level, and market factors.
During the interview selection process, you will connect with a Talent Acquisition Partner who will be your advocate and ally to ensure you receive the appropriate compensation that meets your needs for your skills, experience, and relevant education/training, while also reviewing our very competitive total rewards package.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.