Community Manager (Valence Labs)
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
About Valence Labs
Valence Labs is a research and productization engine within Recursion dedicated to advancing the frontier of AI in drug discovery. Combining the intellectual freedom of academia with the resources and stability of industry, we develop novel AI technologies to spearhead a fundamental shift in the way we discover and develop treatments for complex disease. Our research is driven by optimism, purpose, and a shared vision for a healthier tomorrow. We publish in top journals and conferences, are deeply committed to open-science and open-source, and maintain some of the largest and most active research communities in our industry. Our team is headquartered in Montreal, where we share close connections with Mila, the world’s largest deep learning research institute.
About the role
At Valence Labs, we have spent the past 4 years building and growing some of the largest and most active research communities in our industry. Through hosting and organizing various conferences, events, meetups, and more, we have nurtured a community of 3,000+ researchers working at the intersection of AI and drug discovery. We are seeking a proactive and enthusiastic Community Manager to spearhead our efforts in growing the community and acting as the main liaison between Valence Labs and our external followers. More importantly, you will be fostering a thriving community of researchers, professionals, and enthusiasts to drive innovation and collaboration within the field of AI for drug discovery.
This position is located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and requires fluency in both English and French.
In this role, you will:
- Plan, coordinate, and execute a variety of community-related initiatives that foster knowledge-sharing and research collaborations within our AI community.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with strategic partners, academic institutions, and industry leaders to co-organize events that amplify our impact and reach.
- Manage and maintain our presence on various social media platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Substack).
- Create and curate engaging content to share updates, announcements, and valuable resources with the community.
- Oversee and manage our online communities.
- Respond to inquiries, provide assistance, and proactively engage community members to foster a positive and vibrant online environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g., Marketing, Communications, Life Sciences, Computer Science) or equivalent practical experience.
- Attention to detail and strong communication skills (written and verbal) with the ability to synthesize simple takeaways from complex and technical ideas. You must be fluent in both French and English.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a highly-technical environment.
- Comfort working cross-functionally with interdisciplinary research teams.
Nice to have:
- Scientific knowledge of biology, chemistry, or physics, along with previous experience working in a scientific environment across disciplines.
- Past experience in community management, preferably within the technology or life-sciences industries.
- Experience with UI/UX design
At Valence Labs, we foster an inclusive and diverse work environment. Join our multidisciplinary team of passionate researchers, eager to push the boundaries of ML research and contribute to technology that will transform drug discovery and human health.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.