Senior Production Scientist
At Quell we seek to deliver truly innovative, life-changing therapies for our patients. Our vision as a company is to build a major global biopharmaceutical company bringing transformational and valued therapies for a range of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, as well as preventing rejection in organ transplantation, based on modular engineered Tregs.
Quell Therapeutics Ltd (“Quell”), the world leader in the development of engineered T-regulatory (Treg) cell therapies for serious medical conditions driven by the immune system, announced it has raised $156 million in an oversubscribed Series B financing. The financing round was co-led by Jeito Capital, Ridgeback Capital Investments, SV Health Investors and Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC with participation from founding investor Syncona. New investors include British Patient Capital through its Future Fund: Breakthrough program, Janus Henderson Investors, Monashee Investment Management, Point72 and funds managed by Tekla Capital Management LLC
Senior Production Scientist - Guys St Thomas Hospital
The role of Senior Production Scientist sits within the Production function at Quell, providing a senior role for production scientists with multiple years’ experience gained either in Quell production or outside in a related area. The Senior Production Scientist would act as a deputy to the Lead Production Scientist, stepping up to manage the production team during absence of the Team Lead and also acting as GMP Champion for the Production Team, to ensure schedule adherence, processing to the BMR and GMP processing are assured at all points during manufacture.
- Ability to assist with the management of the direct production team, ensuring that all those involved in batch manufacture are adequately trained in the operations they need to perform
- Understand and implement daily work scheduling and task allocation to the production teams to ensure that the necessary skills are available for the production activities, managing team holidays and responding to team sickness by rescheduling / reprioritising activities elsewhere in the production team
- Carry out the production operations to ensure hands on activities are conversant in the specific GMP requirements associated with the Quell manufacturing process and documentation requirements in order to provide a traceable record of what happened during batch manufacture, maintaining a clean and sterile working environment
- Follow and document contemporaneously the production process as described within the clinical batch manufacturing record, ensuring clarification of requirements where there may be ambiguity in the text and capturing any area where re-wording or additional explanation may be required, recording all activities and deviations within the QMS
- Ensure understanding of clear visual communication of batch scheduling, key activities, risks / concerns across the production activities for a batch and feed back to the team on performance against the objectives for the teams
- Support the Production Team Lead and the Production Scientists in carrying out their GMP operations following the Batch Manufacturing Record, drawing on current and prior experience in this work.
- Help to identify new working practices to streamline / standardise process and a and support the team effort in identifying process risk assess in an environment of continuous improvement and process optimisation
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience from directly relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry
- Degree or higher degree in Biology/Biomedical Science/Immunology or related discipline
- Skills/Specialist knowledge Experience with a range of biopharmaceutical and cell-based techniques including some or all: Aseptic technique, Sterility testing, Cell Counting, Flow cytometry, PCR, Mammalian cell culture, Potency testing
- Management of teams and resourcing responsibilities
- Flexible, self-motivated and focused on team outcomes
- Excellent attention to detail and ability
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience of working in a busy GMP QC laboratory environment
- Ability to supervise and lead Operators day to day
- Good understanding of cell biology and immunology
- Understanding of and familiarity with GMP regulations
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to present results clearly and logically, working co-operatively as part of a team as well as independently
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team, supporting one another and held accountable for project deliverables.
- Professional and personable communication skills.
- Driven to solve problems pragmatically.
- Demonstrates strong organisational and prioritisation skills to manage a diverse workload.
- Good working attitude, reliability, and flexibility.
- Desire to work with integrity and act as an ambassador for Quell and the wider business.
- Holidays: 25 days per year.
- Life Assurance: 4 x base salary.
- Group Personal Pension: Auto enrolled at 6% employer contribution, 3% employee contribution.
- Private Medical Insurance for your whole family.
- Annual Bonus.
- Fantastic collaborative environment at Translation & Innovation Hub
- $156 Million in investment, including brand new lab equipment, innovative methods and exposure to cutting edge technology
- Fast paced and progressive company looking for future leaders and innovators