Senior Process Engineer, Superconducting Magnet
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
Q Bio is building technology for the Physical of the Future that measures more, faster and cheaper about the human body, to enable proactive primary care for all. We're revolutionizing primary care with the first clinical digital twin platform, powered by breakthrough whole-body scanning technology, that highlights the most important changes in a person’s physiology for sharing with physicians and specialists anywhere in the world.
Q Bio’s clinical digital twin platform, Gemini, is the first to capture and monitor comprehensive baseline patient health in a scalable virtual model. The Gemini Dashboard highlights the most important chemical and anatomical changes in an individual weighted by an individual’s lifestyle, genetic and medical history, that can be securely shared with physicians and specialists all over the world.
Gemini is powered by the fastest, most accessible, whole body scanner developed: the Mark I. Self-driving and optimized for primary care, the Mark I can complete a whole-body scan in 15 minutes or less in an open space, without radiation, breath holds, or claustrophobia. Patient comfort is maximized with the option to sit, stand, or lie down, and real-time telemetry is displayed throughout.
Why should you consider a career with Q Bio?
We dream big. Our team is aligned and excited about the opportunity to save lives and understand the human body like never before. We know how critical empowering and supportive leadership is, both to our excellence as a company, and for our team experience as a whole, and our leadership team will empower and support career growth. We’re a team of engineers, scientists, and operators who come from a diverse background of disciplines and experiences. We value teamwork, growth, determination and persistence, commitment to collaboration, and a reliance on staying nimble while keeping the big picture in mind.
As a Senior Process Engineer for superconducting magnet, you will lead the process development and prototyping of the crucial component of Q Bio Mark I: the superconducting magnet. You will also participate in the design and productization of the magnet. You will play a critical role in the development of the most accessible MRI scanner ever developed and be part of a paradigm shift in health care and precision medicine!
- Lead the development of crucial processes, including how to wind coils, make superconducting joints, assemble coils to the support structure, assemble coldmass, assemble cryostat, and so on
- Work closely with other engineers and design partners to optimize the design for performance, reliability, manufacturability
- Participate in in-process testing and final magnet testing
- Review CAD models and technical drawings for the magnet and interface with manufacturing companies to drive the production
- Create detailed documentation for magnet manufacturing and testing
- Participate in developing and implementing comprehensive verification/validation test plans for the magnet
- Participate in developing service tools to support the maintenance & safety of magnets
- A minimum of 5 years of direct experience in superconducting magnets within a manufacturing or research environment
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in fabricating, commissioning, and operating superconducting magnets
- Excellent communication and prioritization skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Experience in participating cross-functional teams to deliver new product designs
- Sense of urgency to deliver prototypes with high quality, on time and within budget
Additional nice to have qualifications that would be beneficial to role:
- At least 8 years of experience in superconducting magnets for MRI systems
- Experience in winding superconducting coil, making superconducting joint, assembling coil to the support structure, welding, GM cryogenic refrigeration systems, high vacuum systems, and helium leak testing
- Experience in cryogenic testing, strain gauge, temperature sensors, and hardware and software for data acquisition systems
- Proven track record of gathering system requirements, creating process and testing documentation, developing test plans, and preparing other supporting documentation
- Experience in leading cross-functional teams to deliver new product designs
- Flexibility and adaptability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with ambitious goals
Q Bio was founded in 2015 by serial entrepreneur Jeffrey Kaditz, Dr. Michael Snyder, Chair of Genetics and Director of Personalized Medicine at Stanford University, and Dr. Garry Choy, physician, radiologist, and former Chief Medical Information Officer at Mass General Hospital. Q Bio has raised over $80M from world class investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, SciFi VC, and many more.
Q Bio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.