Discovery Technology Intern, RNA-Seq
San Diego, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2023
Plexium is a pharmaceutical company focused on developing first-in-class protein degrader therapeutics that go beyond the limitations of bivalent degraders and cereblon molecular glues. Our novel integrated drug discovery platform consists of state-of-the-art medicinal chemistry and DNA-encoded library technologies, ultra-high throughput cell-based screening, deep biological understanding of protein degradation, and extensive proteomics and informatics capabilities. Our integrated platform allows us to discover and develop novel degraders of therapeutically validated proteins for cancer and other important disease areas.
Plexium has a positive, friendly, and collaborative work environment with a culture that values teamwork, initiative, ownership and thoughtful risk-taking in developing innovative solutions to challenging scientific problems. We are committed to fostering innovation at all levels, cross-functional team collaboration, and supporting the growth and development of our team members.
Plexium is seeking a motivated and talented Intern to join our RNA-Seq Screening team within the Discovery Technologies department for a full-time paid summer internship, with the option to extend part-time in the future. This is an excellent opportunity for an undergraduate or master's student with a strong interest in biology and drug discovery to gain valuable experience in cell culture, toxicity assays, and RNA-Seq technology.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Perform literature reviews on relevant topics, summarizing key findings and providing insights to the team to help guide experimental decision making
- Assist in the design and execution of experiments using techniques such as cell culture, toxicity screening, and RNA-Seq to lay the foundations of future high throughput screens
- Maintain and utilize several mammalian cell lines practicing meticulous sterile technique
- Maintain accurate records of experimental data and contribute to data analysis
- Maintain a clean and organized laboratory environment, adhering to safety and sterile techniques
- Participate in team meetings by presenting and discussing experimental results.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Currently enrolled undergraduate or master's student in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related field
- Previous experience working in a biology lab setting desired
- Experience in basic laboratory techniques (pipetting, making solutions, sterile technique)
- Hands-on experience with PCR and/or qPCR
- Familiarity with RNA-Seq and other molecular biology techniques such as DNA/RNA extraction
- Strong ability to read and summarize academic papers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with tissue culture techniques preferred but not required
The Plexium Internship Program offers a pay range based on level of education. The hour commitment per week is 40 hours, Monday through Friday during the summer, and will go to 20 hours a week when the school year starts and classes resume. Interns will be onboarded as temporary employees and will not be eligible for Plexium's benefits, equity, 401K, or bonus plan.
BS Level $22.50 per hour
MS Level $25 per hour
PhD Level $30 per hour
Notice to third party recruitment agencies: Plexium does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of an executed recruitment services agreement, there will be no obligation to any referral compensation or recruiter fee.
In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without an agreement Plexium shall explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, shall be deemed the property of Plexium.
See more open positions at Plexium
Something looks off?