Senior Field Automation Engineer (Remote)
WHO ARE WE
Parse Biosciences is a global life sciences company whose mission is to accelerate progress in human health and scientific research. Empowering researchers to perform single cell sequencing with unprecedented scale and ease, our pioneering approach has enabled groundbreaking discoveries in cancer treatment, tissue repair, stem cell therapy, kidney and liver disease, brain development, and the immune system.
With technology developed at The University of Washington, Parse has raised over $50 million in capital and is now used by over 1,000 customers across the world. Our growing portfolio of products includes Evercode Whole Transcriptome, Evercode TCR, Gene Capture, and a data analysis solution.
Parse Biosciences is based in Seattle, Washington's vibrant South Lake Union district, where we recently opened a 34,000 square foot headquarters and state-of-the-art laboratory.
The Senior Field Automation Engineer is a high impact customer-facing role that will partner closely with the Automation Engineer, Business Development, and Field Application teams to deliver the full potential of the Evercode platform’s industry-leading scalability and sensitivity to our valued customers. As this is a pioneering role at Parse Biosciences, you will have a strong background in assay automation, instrumentation, and performance analysis methodologies to implement troubleshooting and optimization strategies to streamline the transfer of benchtop assays to fully automated end-to-end workflows.
TERRITORY AND TRAVEL
This is a global position with a primary emphasis on US customers with potential to grow the team to expand coverage. You can expect to be on site with customers approximately 70% of the time, and on site in our Seattle HQ 2 to 3 times per year. You will work closely with our customers to determine the optimal automation solutions to align with their goals and capabilities and can expect to be onsite for 1 to 3 day visits and at various points throughout the process. You will have a great deal of control over your schedule and can organize your travel in a way that optimally aligns with customer's timelines and your availability.
IN THIS POSITION, YOU WILL
- Design, standardize, and implement a process for the technical transfer of assay automation parameters developed in-house to customer sites for use on a variety of automation instruments including those from Hamilton, Tecan, Beckman Coulter, Agilent, and more.
- Design, standardize, and implement an on-site automation validation process that certifies the customer is prepared to implement full-scale automated assays.
- Develop and manage a system for tracking customer challenges, successful resolutions, and dissemination of voice of customer (VOC) to relevant internal stakeholders.
- Perform in-person site visits to carefully align with customer goals, evaluate site preparedness and resources, and implement a strategy to rapidly automate Parse assays.
- Closely engage with customers in-person, and remotely as needed, to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues related to automation systems and instrumentation to rapidly drive automation.
- Maintain a highly collaborative and supportive partnership with customers throughout the automation process and beyond.
FOR THIS POSITION, WE LOOK FOR
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or engineering/biomedical engineering discipline (Masters/PhD degree preferred)
- 7+ years of lab automation experience in the life sciences industry, including implementation, programming, and support.
- An individual who is excited to pioneer this new role for Parse Biosciences.
- A highly customer-centric professional with a deep appreciation and practice of collaboration and a focus on delivering world-class support.
- The ability and willingness to travel up to 70%.
- Experience with assay method development for high-throughput screening.
- Experience with laboratory information systems (LIMS).
- Strong communication and presentation skills with a proven ability to act as project manager to gather requirements and to manage, plan, develop and implement laboratory automation initiatives from start to finish.
- Experience with next generation sequencing (NGS) library preparation preferred.
- Experience with full stack lab automation schedulers preferred.
Parse Biosciences is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Parse Biosciences has a COVID-19 vaccination policy that applies to all employees regardless of work location, except as prohibited by applicable law. As such, newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated prior to commencing employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final (or only) dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Exemptions will be considered for medical conditions/disabilities and sincerely held religious beliefs, observations, or practices.
Key words: lab automation, automation scientist, automation consultant