Software Engineer, Frontend
Each year people are diagnosed with cancer, autoimmune diseases, chronic conditions, and more. The immune system is the ultimate determinant of health and disease; however, the immune system remains a black box. Leveraging our AI-first technology, we want to provide high-resolution understandings of the immune system to fully unlock its power. And with your help, we can do it.
From technology built and proven at Fred Hutch, Ozette is creating a revolutionary immune profiling platform to turn high-dimensional data into actionable insights. Our software is integral to our mission and enhancing insights by 10x in volume and resolution—scientists, clinicians and our teams—will accelerate breakthroughs to drive better patient outcomes.
Ozette's collaborative platform enables unprecedented transparency and reproducibility through its version controlled analysis pipeline. It is built on TypeScript and React with RecoilJS. Our in-house data visualization tools use the full range of browser features, like SVG (D3), WebGL (Regl/CandyGraph), and Web Workers, to deliver high fidelity user experience.
Our founders are leading experts in data science, computational biology, and medicine and we are backed by some of the best technology investors, including Madrona Venture Group (first investors in Amazon), Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen’s Institute for Artificial Intelligence, and Vulcan Capital. If you’re passionate about leveraging technology to improve health, explore joining our innovative, creative team. Recognizing that the best candidates do not always match all criteria of the job description, we encourage you to apply if you think you would be a good fit for the role and are inspired by our mission.
This is a full time role that can be held from Seattle, WA or remotely depending on location and timezone..
What you'll do:
- Architect and build high-performing, superlative frontend experiences that are both functionally and aesthetically pleasing
- Tackle complex problems like optimizing React rendering to 60 fps, managing WebSocket connections for the replication of real time state from the server, or managing a user interface for complex and multi-dimensional data wrangling
- Collaborate across teams, including UX/UI designers, engineers, product managers, scientists, and stakeholders to understand requirements and provide input on feasibility and technical considerations during the product design process
- Set foundations both in code and documentation for the frontend to enable future builders to onboard rapidly
- Write tests and perform debugging and troubleshooting to ensure code quality and reliability
- Participating in code reviews and providing constructive feedback to maintain code quality and consistency
- Follow software development lifecycle processes
- Report NCs and deviations to management and complete assigned quality record tasks
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field, or equivalent experience
- Proven experience (4+ years) as a frontend software engineer developing user interfaces and managing frontend codebases
- Experience with building responsive web applications that work seamlessly across different web browsers and screen sizes
- Knowledge of UI/UX principles and ability to collaborate effectively with designers to create visually appealing and intuitive interfaces
- Understanding of RESTful APIs and experience in integrating frontend applications with backend services
- Knowledge of version control systems like git for collaboration and code management.
- Familiarity with cloud platforms and services (e.g. AWS, Azure) and deployment processes
- Proficient in using browser development tools for debugging and performance optimization.
- Awareness of web security principles and best practices, including handling user input and protecting against common vulnerabilities a plus
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work in an agile development environment, collaborating closely with cross-functional teams and adapting to changing priorities
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail for debugging and troubleshooting frontend issues
- Contributions to open-source projects highlighting your depth of experience
- An inclusive and entrepreneurial mindset: a creative thinker, gets things done, takes failure in stride, derives signal from ambiguity, and champions the team
- An interest in learning biological sciences and digging into new challenges
Why you will love working here
Ozette is dedicated to building a world-class science and technology team known for its products and services, high standards, employee development and retention. At the heart of great companies are great teams. We strive to give you everything you need to thrive at work and beyond. We offer full benefits, hybrid office schedule, honor all 11 federal holidays + an additional extra day off for every holiday, plan company wide respites during Thanksgiving, Xmas and New Years, and offer a 'take what you need' vacation policy.
As an early stage employee you will get the chance to set standards and mental models that set foundations for the future, be they product, culture, or operations related. Exercise your skills across a wide gamut of responsibilities and evolve your role as the company evolves. You will work on some of the most exciting initiatives that bridge AI/ML with hard science, packaged with a brilliant user experience.
Our work and teams thrive most when we are diverse and inclusive, so we take equal opportunity seriously. We commit to fostering a respectful, diverse, and inclusive environment where all team members can contribute and develop to their fullest potential. We welcome individuals of all backgrounds, orientations, and identities to join our community.
Base salary range: $110,000-$160,000 USD
Total compensation, which includes equity, determined based on experience.