Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2023
Outpace Bio is a drug development company reimagining cell function through protein design to make cells the future of medicine. We believe that cells are naturally programmed by evolution to make the wrong decisions in cancer and autoimmune disease, and curative cell therapies will only be achieved by overcoming the default biological mechanisms that limit their efficacy and safety. Led by co-founders of Lyell Immunopharma, our world-class scientific team is developing smart cell therapies that reprogram complex biological processes in ways that small molecules and biologics cannot. We use protein design and synthetic biology to engineer cells to make better decisions inside the patient and to productively engage the endogenous immune system. Our unique partnership model allows us to efficiently explore diverse cell therapy modalities and accelerates clinical validation so that we can bring curative therapies to patients. We value passion for science, innovation, collaboration, inclusion, and respect.
At Outpace Bio, we believe that the highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive culture for all employees. Recognizing that the best candidates do not always match all criteria of the job description, we encourage you to apply if you think you would be a good fit for the role and are inspired by our mission to cure disease by pushing the boundaries of biology.
We are seeking a Patent Agent who will work closely with our VP of Legal to draft and prosecute patent filings for the Company’s intellectual property portfolio. This role will collaborate cross-functionally with research and business development to translate conceptual designs into inventions supported by both data and market research. The Patent Agent will apply their scientific training as well as their expertise in technical writing and legal acumen to strategically craft patent applications, correspondence with external counsel, arguments for patent prosecution and perform IP landscape analyses. Moreover, in proportion to their interest, the Patent Agent will have opportunities to expand substantive legal skills.
Responsibilities (position responsibilities may include, but are not limited to):
- Preparing patent applications for filing with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Assisting with the prosecution of patent applications, worldwide
- Evaluating discoveries and preparing invention disclosure forms
- Triage of content relevant to information disclosure statements
- Performing patent searches and evaluating results
- Providing technical assistance on various IP projects, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in the biological arts, preferably, in a field including coursework or lab experience in an area related to immunology
- Advanced degrees (Masters or PhD) strongly preferred
- USPTO registration number is required, and previous work experience as a registered Patent Agent is preferred
- Patent prosecution experience is preferred
- Experience with patent procurement and prosecution in the field of cell therapy is preferred
- Great attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to work effectively independently and with others both in office and in a virtual team environment
- Excellent writing, organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of the company and collaborator information
- Self-starter with the ability to work autonomously and handle shifting priorities
- Willingness and desire to learn new skills and take on new projects
- Comfortable in a paperless environmentStrong computer skills, including proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe and various patent web portals including PAIR, Patent Center and Espacenet; various trademark web resources including Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS); patent search software (e.g., PatSnap or similar)
Full Time Employees (and their eligible dependents) may enroll in Outpace's medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, flexible spending account, and 401k plan. In addition, employees may receive stock option grants to be outlined in their offer of employment. Outpace employees enjoy flexible PTO, paid sick leave which complies with local requirements, and twelve paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Outpace also offers a generous paid parental leave policy to all regular full-time employees.
Outpace Bio is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States. If you are legally authorized to work in the United States now, or in the future without any form of sponsorship, we encourage you to apply.
To protect the safety of our employees, Outpace Bio requires all new hires to submit proof of full vaccination (per CDC guidelines) from the COVID-19 virus before commencing employment. If you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a serious medical condition or because it would violate your sincerely held religious belief, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation. An accommodation request must be submitted at the time an offer is extended.