Research Associate II, In Vivo Biology
Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Outpace Bio is a drug development company reimagining cell function through protein design to make cells the future of medicine. We believe that cells are naturally programmed by evolution to make the wrong decisions in cancer and autoimmune disease, and curative cell therapies will only be achieved by overcoming the default biological mechanisms that limit their efficacy and safety. Led by co-founders of Lyell Immunopharma, our world-class scientific team is developing smart cell therapies that reprogram complex biological processes in ways that small molecules and biologics cannot. We use protein design and synthetic biology to engineer cells to make better decisions inside the patient and to productively engage the endogenous immune system. Our unique partnership model allows us to efficiently explore diverse cell therapy modalities and accelerates clinical validation so that we can bring curative therapies to patients. We value passion for science, innovation, collaboration, inclusion, and respect.
At Outpace Bio, we believe that the highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive culture for all employees. Recognizing that the best candidates do not always match all criteria of the job description, we encourage you to apply if you think you would be a good fit for the role and are inspired by our mission to cure disease by pushing the boundaries of biology.
We are seeking a motivated Research Associate II with experience performing and coordinating in vivo studies in the immuno-oncology field. Ideal candidates will have a background in tumor biology, cell biology, and/or immunology with prior experience working with xenografted mouse models. In this role, you will work closely with the in vivo team lead and other scientists to perform in-house vivarium capabilities and will also interface with a cross-functional team across Outpace. This role will primarily perform hands-on animal work to support pipeline projects but will also be responsible for the upstream and downstream sample preparation and analysis for studies. This individual will be empowered to manage their workflows and grow to oversee all aspects of studies within the expanding in vivo functional area.
This position will report directly to the Senior Scientist: In Vivo Team Lead but will also interface with the immunology and pipeline teams at Outpace to manage an array of studies from early model development to benchmark efficacy. If you are a hard-working team player with effective communication skills you will thrive in our collaborative, fast-paced startup environment with plenty of runway for professional growth.
Responsibilities (Position responsibilities may include, but are not limited to):
- Handle mice (both awake and/or under anesthesia) and perform standard vivarium procedures including subcutaneous, intraperitoneal and intravenous injections as well as sample collections, tumor measurements and standard health monitoring and care.
- Carry out in vivo imaging acquisition and analysis and summarize data into study reports and documentation.
- Culture tumor lines and primary human immune cells under sterile conditions and prepare them for administration.
- Perform downstream analysis on samples collected such as processing for flow cytometry and serum isolation for cytokine analysis.
- Maintain standard regulatory documentation and reporting for animal welfare, and record keeping for scientific data entry and electronic notebook submission.
- Coordinate with lab team members on sample preparation timelines collection schedule, vivarium staff for procedures and equipment, and project teams for deadlines and updates.
- Maintain a clean and organized laboratory and vivarium workspace and keep consumable supplies stocked and equipment in working order.
- Participate in and present data at internal research meetings.
- Follow laboratory safety guidelines and practice.
- Adherence to the highest degree of professional integrity and respect for animal welfare.
- Experience working with xenograft mouse models and humanized mouse strains for immuno-oncology research projects.
- Hands-on experience working with mice and performing standard vivarium procedures including subcutaneous, intraperitoneal and intravenous injections, imaging techniques, blood and tissue collection, and necropsy.
- Familiarity with blood handling/processing for lymphocyte isolation and characterization using immunological assays for phenotyping and/or genotyping cell populations.
- Background in tumor biology, immunology and in vivo tumor model development, including tumor growth curves, in vivo imaging, and flow cytometry process and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional environment.
- Excellent troubleshooting, organization, and planning skills, and the ability to work under timeline in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- BA/BS with 2+ years or MS with 0 years with preference for degree in Immunology, Cell Biology, Animal Sciences, or a related field with position-relevant research experience in an academic or industry environment.
- Familiarity with CAR T cell biology.
- Cell culture and in vitro assay experience including aseptic techniques and tissue culture of primary immune cell populations and tumor derived cell lines.
- Experience reading and assisting with IACUC documentation and amendment submissions, and interaction or understanding of vivarium regulatory agencies.
- AALAS Certification.
Full Time Employees (and their eligible dependents) may enroll in Outpace's medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, flexible spending account, and 401k plan. In addition, employees may receive stock option grants to be outlined in their offer of employment. Outpace employees enjoy flexible PTO, paid sick leave which complies with local requirements, and twelve paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Outpace also offers a generous paid parental leave policy to all regular full-time employees.
Outpace Bio is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States. If you are legally authorized to work in the United States now, or in the future without any form of sponsorship, we encourage you to apply.
To protect the safety of our employees, Outpace Bio requires all new hires to submit proof of full vaccination (per CDC guidelines) from the COVID-19 virus before commencing employment. If you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a serious medical condition or because it would violate your sincerely held religious belief, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation. An accommodation request must be submitted at the time an offer is extended.