Research Associate II, Protein Science
Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2023
Outpace Bio is a drug development company reimagining cell function through protein design to make cells the future of medicine. We believe that cells are naturally programmed by evolution to make the wrong decisions in cancer and autoimmune disease, and curative cell therapies will only be achieved by overcoming the default biological mechanisms that limit their efficacy and safety. Led by co-founders of Lyell Immunopharma, our world-class scientific team is developing smart cell therapies that reprogram complex biological processes in ways that small molecules and biologics cannot. We use protein design and synthetic biology to engineer cells to make better decisions inside the patient and to productively engage the endogenous immune system. Our unique partnership model allows us to efficiently explore diverse cell therapy modalities and accelerates clinical validation so that we can bring curative therapies to patients. We value passion for science, innovation, collaboration, inclusion, and respect.
At Outpace Bio, we believe that the highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive culture for all employees. Recognizing that the best candidates do not always match all criteria of the job description, we encourage you to apply if you think you would be a good fit for the role and are inspired by our mission to cure disease by pushing the boundaries of biology.
The Synthetic Biology and Biophysics group at Outpace Bio is seeking an enthusiastic research associate to join our protein production team. In this role, you will work with a world-class scientific team developing smart cell therapies reprogrammed to make better decisions inside the patients. You will carry out mammalian tissue culture, transfections, protein purifications and related tasks. You will also collaborate cross-functionally with team members throughout the company to support efforts from early discovery efforts to pipeline and IND-enabling efforts. There will be many opportunities to learn new skills and further your professional growth and development at a fast-growing biotechnology startup. This position will report to the Scientist I who leads the protein expression and purification efforts at Outpace.
Responsibilities (Position responsibilities may include, but are not limited to):
- Perform mammalian cell culture & transient transfections
- Run SDS-PAGE and/or Western blots
- Purify and fractionate protein samples using affinity chromatography, SEC & IEX
- Perform protein conjugations such as NHS or maleimide based biotinylation or fluorescent labeling
- Support downstream purification and characterization of recombinant proteins, including Analytical Size Exclusion Chromatography with Multi-Angle Light Scattering, Analytical Hydrophobic Interaction Chromatography, and Affinity Capture Self Interaction Spectroscopy (AC-SINS)
- Keep detailed and organized records of experiments
- Present data at weekly group meetings
- Provide support across organization as needed
- BS with 2 years or MS with 0 years experience in Biology/Biochemistry/Microbiology or related field
- Experience with protein expression in E. coli and mammalian cell systemsincluding maintenance and transient transfection of suspension cell cultures
- Experience with SDS-PAGE & Western blotting
- Experience with protein expression and purification using chromatographic methods including AKTA systems
- Experience with Aqueous Size Exclusion of proteins by HPLC is highly desired
- Attention to detail and ability to quickly learn new skills
- Ability to keep well-organized and clear records of experiments
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and employ effective time management strategies
Full Time Employees (and their eligible dependents) may enroll in Outpace's medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, flexible spending account, and 401k plan. In addition, employees may receive stock option grants to be outlined in their offer of employment. Outpace employees enjoy flexible PTO, paid sick leave which complies with local requirements, and twelve paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Outpace also offers a generous paid parental leave policy to all regular full-time employees.
Outpace Bio is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States. If you are legally authorized to work in the United States now, or in the future without any form of sponsorship, we encourage you to apply.
To protect the safety of our employees, Outpace Bio requires all new hires to submit proof of full vaccination (per CDC guidelines) from the COVID-19 virus before commencing employment. If you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a serious medical condition or because it would violate your sincerely held religious belief, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation. An accommodation request must be submitted at the time an offer is extended.