Scientific Communications and Publications Manager
Marketing & Communications
Menlo Park, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
Over one million people in the world today are fighting blood cancer. While a traditional allogeneic stem cell transplant has been the best hope for many patients, the transplant itself can prove fatal or lead to serious conditions, such as graft versus host disease.
Orca Bio's investigational, high-precision cell therapies are designed to replace a patient's compromised blood and immune system with a healthy one, while dramatically lowering the risk of developing life-threatening or debilitating transplant-related side-effects. The first application of Orca Bio’s platform is in blood cancer where the unmet need is most acute; with a robust pipeline of promising cell therapies, we plan to extend into autoimmune diseases and genetic blood disorders as well.
In this role, you will be responsible for working with multiple cross-functional stakeholders in the development of Scientific publications.
Every day, you will research and write scientific papers, facilitate the internal peer review process and generate publications for use for the conferences and with medical affairs audiences.
In order to thrive in this role, you will need to genuinely enjoy writing and the detailed process involved in generating scientific content while also enjoy the art or verbal communication and presentation delivery to diverse audiences.
- Publication strategy and planning in partnership with publication planning teams; facilitate the creation, implementation, and management of publication plans for Orca Bio cell therapies
- Monitor the publication requirements of international/national congresses and journals to define the operational milestones of the publication plans
- Run Publication Planning meetings and ensure discussions and assignments are collected and implemented
- Contribute to the creation, maintenance, and promulgation of scientific platforms and lexicons
- Develop collaborative relationships with external stakeholders including academic and clinical experts, publishers and medical associations
- Demonstrate scientific knowledge of the disease states, the products and relevant clinical studies
- Develop content development for Field Medical Teams, aligned with overall scientific narrative for each molecule and overall medical strategy
- Participate in conference coverage of select major relevant medical/scientific conferences and synthesize the summaries
- Lead the medical writing of scientific publications across the product portfolio
- Partner with relevant internal partners and external experts, provide project management, and drive publication planning, timely preparation, submission, and presentation of publications (i.e., medical, scientific, and health economics manuscripts, abstracts, posters, and oral presentations)
- Critically review publications to ensure they are of the highest quality of scientific accuracy, grammar and flow, and that messages are in alignment with medical objectives (i.e., Scientific Platform) and adhere to company standards
- Collaborate with publishers/congresses to anticipate requirements for efficient and timely submissions
- Coordinate and document reviews, approvals, communications and other activities related to publication development and handle short turnaround times as needed
- Exercise judgement and interpretation to identify procedures and policies to resolve issues and questions arising during the writing/review process
- Ensure among authors and internal partners that all publications are being authored, written and reviewed according to good publication practice standards (GPP3/ICMJE guidelines) and are consistent with company policies
- Proactively maintain cross-functional awareness of emerging publications through timely communications to internal partners to ensure coordinated roll-out of multi-channel communications
- Ensure accuracy of publication repository and publication management records (eg, Datavision)
- Recommend improvements to the scientific publication review process, policies, procedures, and systems and tools that may affect immediate scientific communications operations
- Provide publication budget management and oversight
- Provide direction and guidance and manage vendors, as needed
- Advanced life science degree (PharmD, PhD or similar)
- A minimum of 2 years of experience within the pharmaceutical or related healthcare industry, with direct experience in publications planning and management
- Understanding of current publication environment, good publications practices and guidance (GPP/ ICMJE), Sunshine Act, Pharma Code of Conduct and other guidance related to pre- and post-marketing practices and scientific data communications
- Proficient knowledge and hands on experience with publications management and review tools and systems (eg, Datavision) and Microsoft Office products (eg, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and communication (verbal and written) skills and flawless attention to detail
- Excellent project management skills, including planning, organization and time management and ability to support and prioritize multiple projects
- Demonstrable medical writing ability and ability to understand, analyze, and summarize medical/scientific literature, and conduct literature searches
- Understanding of clinical trial design and execution, statistical methods, and clinical trial data reporting requirements
- Approximately 10% travel is anticipated
- Certification as a Medical Publications Professional (CMPP) is preferred
Annual Base Salary Range is TBD
The pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, location, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, or applicable laws.
Who we are
We are driven by a passion for science and compassion for patients. We act with urgency to ensure our treatments are one day accessible to all patients who need them.
We strive to do things right, and to embody our core values of passion, courage, and integrity. Excellence in our work means the potential to unlock a better quality of life for our patients, and with that comes tremendous responsibility.
We innovate daily on a path that hasn’t been paved. This means we lean heavily on our entrepreneurial spirit and are comfortable taking calculated risks to achieve progress toward our mission. It means we aren’t afraid to ask “why not,” and encourage lively discourse around rethinking the status quo.
We work hard to preserve our start-up culture rooted in camaraderie and leadership by example - by everyone, regardless of title.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and have seen how our differences - when celebrated and woven together - create stronger and more lasting solutions that better serve our team, our partners, and most importantly, our patients and the providers who treat them.
Notice to staffing firms
Orca Bio does not accept resumes from staffing agencies with which we do not have a written agreement and specific engagement for a particular opening. Our employment activities, inquires and offers are managed through our HR/Talent department, and all candidates are presented through this channel only. We do not accept unsolicited resumes.