Process Development Scientist - Cell Media Formulation
Marketing & Communications
Menlo Park, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 1, 2023
Over one million people in the world today are fighting blood cancer. While a traditional allogeneic stem cell transplant has been the best hope for many patients, the transplant itself can prove fatal or lead to serious conditions, such as graft versus host disease.
Orca Bio's investigational, high-precision cell therapies are designed to replace a patient's compromised blood and immune system with a healthy one, while dramatically lowering the risk of developing life-threatening or debilitating transplant-related side-effects. The first application of Orca Bio’s platform is in blood cancer where the unmet need is most acute; with a robust pipeline of promising cell therapies, we plan to extend into autoimmune diseases and genetic blood disorders as well.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled Process Development Scientist with expertise in cell culture media and feed optimization to join our team. The successful candidate will play a key role in developing a better media system for our immune cell therapies, thereby extending the usable life span of donor material.
- Develop mammalian cell culture conditions to support pre-clinical and clinical development and manufacturing.
- Design and execute lab-scale studies with primary human immune cells to inform and support process decisions.
- Design and executes experiments independently or with guidance from team/project lead for complex experiments.
- Tech transfer cell culture processes to GMP manufacturing.
- Continuously improve platform processes as well as evaluate and develop newer technologies as needed.
- PhD in Immunology, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or a related scientific discipline.
- Working knowledge of cell culture processes and cellular metabolism.
- Broad experience in cell biology, statistical design of experiments, and analytics.
- Experience developing mammalian cell media and feed optimization to support early and late stage clinical production is a plus
- Experience with cell culture of primary human immune cells is a plus.
- Previous experience in cell culture media development and cell culture platform development is a plus.
- Excellent critical thinking, scientific problem-solving, and communication skills.
Who we are
We are driven by a passion for science and compassion for patients. We act with urgency to ensure our treatments are one day accessible to all patients who need them.
We strive to do things right, and to embody our core values of passion, courage, and integrity. Excellence in our work means the potential to unlock a better quality of life for our patients, and with that comes tremendous responsibility.
We innovate daily on a path that hasn’t been paved. This means we lean heavily on our entrepreneurial spirit and are comfortable taking calculated risks to achieve progress toward our mission. It means we aren’t afraid to ask “why not,” and encourage lively discourse around rethinking the status quo.
We work hard to preserve our start-up culture rooted in camaraderie and leadership by example - by everyone, regardless of title.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and have seen how our differences - when celebrated and woven together - create stronger and more lasting solutions that better serve our team, our partners, and most importantly, our patients and the providers who treat them.
Notice to staffing firms
Orca Bio does not accept resumes from staffing agencies with which we do not have a written agreement and specific engagement for a particular opening. Our employment activities, inquires and offers are managed through our HR/Talent department, and all candidates are presented through this channel only. We do not accept unsolicited resumes.