Software Engineer, Data and ML
Software Engineer, Data and ML
Nuanced Health is a seed-stage, venture capital-backed biotechnology company that is reimagining the drug development process in order to discover, develop, and evolve therapeutics. We believe that a better understanding of the biological heterogeneity among us can inspire novel therapeutics and maximize the efficacy of existing ones. At Nuanced Health, we combine in vivo techniques with computational methods to create a drug development process that addresses our unique biology and discovers treatments that work for everyone. We are a multidisciplinary company, motivated to build a mutualistic environment where engineers and scientists work synergistically to create a revolutionary product on a category-defining platform for the life sciences industry.
Nuanced Health is founded on enabling and integrating teams and systems to have a greater impact – a core principle that we apply toward our people and our product.
At Nuanced Health, we are data-driven. We believe that a strong foundation for data acquisition and data analysis of in vivo models, bioinformatics and machine learning is at the core of our platform for drug discovery and development. The in silico models we’ll use to identify biomarkers, understand drug interactions and ultimately realize the biological models will compel us towards revolutionizing drug discovery.
Data is the common thread that links many disciplines here, and as an Engineer on our team, you will be responsible for the backbone that supports and connects the groups across the organization. The systems and processes you build will create fundamental value, accelerating communication and execution of critical experiments while enabling the discoveries made from them. They will become the conduit that connects the lab and the real world to the data platform in the cloud. Additionally, the models you implement and analyses you deliver will define tangible progress for the organization.
As the Software Engineer, your primary responsibility will be to deliver and continually improve the platform to connect all scientific experiments. You would be joining a team of microbiologists, immunologists, researchers and computational scientists and engineers, so an ideal teammate is intentionally curious, highly adaptable, committed to learning, and passionate about innovation, all in a dynamic startup environment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design, build and deploy the data platform, the backbone connecting departments across the organization
- Design, implement and deploy statistical models to produce critical results
- Collaborate closely with scientists and other team members to realize critical biological experiments in robust data workflows
- Develop and support bioinformatic tools and pipelines to analyze and integrate large, diverse datasets in parallel
- Research, design, and implement novel machine learning solutions with predictive power for drug discovery
- Establish a robust and reliable foundation to drive decisions grounded in data
Skills and Qualifications
- BS with industry experience in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Bioinformatics/Computational Biology or a related quantitative field; 3-5 years of work experience is strongly preferred but will consider exceptional candidates with less experience
- Excellent coding and software design skills, and ideally proficient in Python, R or other major programming languages
- Leadership experience in designing and utilizing best practices in high-performance cloud computing platforms (e.g. in AWS, Google Cloud, Azure), machine learning technologies (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch, Scikit-learn, etc.), and data storage and processing solutions (e.g. Apache Spark, SQL, etc.)
- Experience managing genetic, proteomic, molecular, and other diverse biological datasets, which may include leveraging public domain or open-source biological datasets
- Knowledge of math and statistics applied towards the design of novel algorithms for appropriate machine learning paradigms (e.g., supervised, unsupervised, and reinforcement learning)
- Familiarity with chemi-, protein-, and bio- informatic computational toolkits and packages (e.g. RDKit, pyOpenMS, pyteomics, Biopython, QIIME2, HUMAnN2, SciPy, etc.)
- Publications or research in developing novel artificial intelligence workflows and algorithms
- Experience with workflow managers (e.g. Nextflow, Snakemake, Cromwell, WDL, etc. )
- Ability to work in-person in our Los Angeles office
Nuanced Health is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is Nuanced Health's policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status.