Staff Scientist, Antibody Conjugation
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2023
At Nautilus, we have a big and important mission: improve the health of millions by unleashing the potential of the proteome to accelerate drug development and enable a new world of precision and personalized medicine. We are developing a single-molecule protein analysis platform of unprecedented sensitivity, scale, and ease of use that we believe will democratize access to the proteome – one of the most dynamic and valuable sources of biological insight. To accomplish this, we are pursuing hard scientific problems with an entrepreneurial mindset and creating a world-class team of builders, innovators, and dreamers across a wide range of disciplines.
We are hiring a Staff Scientist who specializes in the conjugation of antibodies to join our growing team. In this role, you will be part of a high-performing, dynamic R&D team working on the development of reagents for a unique technology platform that will enable characterization of the proteome at single molecule resolution. Along with contributing internally by developing novel bioconjugation methods this candidate will represent Nautilus externally by interacting directly with customers to understand the scientific questions that they are asking and discuss with them proteomics solutions. The successful candidate will be a flexible and collaborative self-starter with extensive experience in designing, executing, analyzing, and interpreting experiments. Reporting results to multidisciplinary teams and customers alike is required for this role. Strong troubleshooting skills, critical thinking, and attention to detail are essential. The ideal candidate will be adaptable and thrive in a startup environment.
- Invent, develop and optimize methods to build novel conjugates that combine bright fluorescent labels with Nautilus’ antibodies and aptamers, collectively called probes, into high-affinity detection reagents
- Work extensively with our Reagents R&D, Protein Discovery, and Formulations teams to implement strategies that enable site-specific conjugation and optimal presentation of the attached probes
- Design methods for conjugating standard recombinant antibodies to create high-affinity detection reagents
- Contribute to the design of experiments cross-functionally to evaluate the performance of conjugates on the Nautilus platform
- In collaboration with the larger Applications team, meet with customers to understand the scientific questions they are seeking answers for and present bioconjugation solutions that Nautilus will utilize to push their projects forward
- Work with our Sample Preparation and Reagents teams to design novel chemical linkers, moieties, and functional groups for conjugates with improved properties
- Plan and evaluate synthetic routes for compounds of interest, if needed
- Synthesize and/or work with synthesis CROs to bring new chemistries and compounds in-house, if needed
- Design and carry out assays for both analytical and functional QC of small molecule compounds, conjugates, and complex reagents
- Collaborate with our Formulation and Production teams to refine and transfer protocols
- PhD plus 4-6+ years of industry experience or BS/MS plus 8-10+ years of industry experience
- Deep experience with chemistry, especially as applied to orthogonal bioconjugation chemistry, chromatography and analytical techniques including HPLC, MS, LC/MS, and NMR
- Experience in the synthesis and evaluation of reagents for use in antibody, protein, or peptide conjugates, including understanding of how modifications may impact function
- Hands-on experience with multiple methods of bioconjugation.
- Hands-on experience with different purification methods and be able to characterize conjugates. Experience with complex affinity reagents preferred (polymeric compounds, nanoparticles, etc. Ability to effectively multitask and work in a fast-pace, goal-oriented environment.
- Ability to formulate, establish, and teach bioconjugation solutions
- Highly organized with exquisite attention to detail
- Self-motivated, driving projects forward to meet deadlines
- Willingness to work collaboratively within a team as well as independently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Agile-like approach to development
Nautilus Team Culture
- We are curious go-getters: this is a team of life-long learners who aren’t afraid to tackle the big challenges and we embrace the journey
- We are detail oriented: we do great science by working smart & with diligence where we learn from our trials and mistakes
- We are easy to work with: we want our workplace to be one where everyone can share their perspective and be treated with respect and kindness