Staff Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET)
San Carlos, CA, USA · San Diego, CA, USA · Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
At Nautilus, we have a big and important mission: improve the health of millions by unleashing the potential of the proteome to accelerate drug development and enable a new world of precision and personalized medicine. We are developing a single-molecule protein analysis platform of unprecedented sensitivity, scale, and ease of use that we believe will democratize access to the proteome – one of the most dynamic and valuable sources of biological insight. To accomplish this, we are pursuing hard scientific problems with an entrepreneurial mindset and creating a world-class team of builders, innovators, and dreamers across a wide range of disciplines.
We are on the lookout for a seasoned and gifted Staff Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) to lead our Software Quality Assurance team. Our preferred candidate is a hands-on leader, tasked with guaranteeing the quality and dependability of our software systems, instruments, and applications. This role involves working closely with our development teams to develop our overall software test strategy and to drive best practices for testing and quality assurance throughout the entire Software organization. As a software engineer, your passion lies in accelerating the pace of other software engineering teams. You regard these teams as your customers, and you aid them by supplying pre-built frameworks, tools, and other automation solutions so that they can quickly and effectively validate the quality of the software they are building.
This position will report to the Sr. Director of Software Engineering and can be located in San Carlos, CA, San Diego, CA, or Seattle, WA. A minimum of three days in office is preferred.
- Design, develop, and implement test strategies, plans, and processes for all software systems across the company.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure that software solutions meet business needs and customer requirements.
- Write clean, maintainable, and efficient code for test automation purposes, and provide hands-on technical leadership for a team tasked with the same goals.
- Analyze test results, surface issues, and drive structural improvements to our software products and development processes.
- Manage and track testing activities, including identifying and tracking defects and test deficiencies.
- Work closely with software engineering teams to ensure testability and reliability are considered during the development process.
- Optionally manage and grow a software quality assurance team.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of experience as a Software Development Engineer in Test or a related job role.
- Optionally, 2+ years of supervisory experience.
- Proven knowledge of and experience with software testing methodologies, tools, frameworks, and processes.
- Proficiency with the Git source control system.
- Working knowledge of software development methodologies (Agile, Scrum, etc.) and QA processes.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Detail-oriented with a commitment to driving positive change all around you.
Nautilus Team Culture
- We are curious go-getters: this is a team of life-long learners who aren’t afraid to tackle the big challenges while continuously pushing ourselves forward.
- We are detail oriented: we do great science by working smart and with diligence, and by learning from our mistakes.
- We are easy to work with: we want our workplace to be one where everyone can share their perspective and be treated with respect and kindness.