Director of Flowcell Engineering & Surface Chemistry
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, April 5, 2023
At Nautilus, we have a big and important mission: improve the health of millions by unleashing the potential of the proteome to accelerate drug development and enable a new world of precision and personalized medicine. We are developing a single-molecule protein analysis platform of unprecedented sensitivity, scale, and ease of use that we believe will democratize access to the proteome – one of the most dynamic and valuable sources of biological insight. To accomplish this, we are pursuing deep, hard science with an entrepreneurial mindset and creating a world-class team of builders, innovators, and dreamers across a wide range of disciplines.
The Director of Flowcell Engineering & Surface Chemistry will lead a team of engineers and scientists to develop and validate advanced methods for cost-effectively patterning and functionalizing high density arrays on glass and silicon substrates with the goals of achieving high single molecule occupancy, low surface non-specific binding, and extended shelf-life. To this end, this individual will need to work closely with other peer groups within Nautilus including reagents, assay, instrument engineering, bioinformatics, and operations. The ideal candidate will have prior demonstrated experience leading multi-disciplinary teams and working at the intersection of engineering, chemistry and biology.
As a key technical leader, this individual will spearhead the continued development of existing chip, flowcell, and surface chemistry designs, and related manufacturing and quality control processes. Advanced research activities resulting in next generation chips, surfaces and flowcells will also be led by this individual.
- Serve as a hands-on technical leader; drive research and development activities related to nanofabrication, surface chemistry, and flowcell engineering; work closely with Operations on transferring design and processes to manufacturing.
- Work closely with executive team, product management, and functional leaders in defining product roadmaps and evaluating new flowcell designs and related technologies.
- Ensure excellent planning and effective use of resources to achieve organizational goals.
- Establish major objectives for a cross-functional group and ensuring goals are achieved in a timely fashion and within budget.
- Regularly and effectively interact with other senior leaders, peers, and subordinates for briefings and technical meetings.
- The successful candidate will be an inspirational leader who sustains a culture of passion, hard work, and innovation across functional groups.
- Uses independent judgment to develop strategies and implement operational policies and directives.
- Effectively communicate progress toward project/program goals.
- Develop leaders and direct reports for current and future needs and positively align talent decisions to strategic plans.
- Drives and leads problem resolution at an accelerated pace using new approaches.
- PhD in a related science or engineering discipline.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible roles in dynamic, growing organizations.
- A minimum of 5 years of R&D leadership experience.
- Specific RUO/Life Science Tools experience is highly desirable.
- Strong technical experience in standard micro/nanofabrication processes including but not limited to CVD, plasma etch, photolithography, electron beam lithography, and nanoimprinting lithography.
- Strong background in surface functionalization methods suitable for biological applications; knowledge of analytical methods for surface characterization.
- Experience with flowcell design and development including various bonding and manufacturing methods; ability to drive teams to use a combination of theoretical simulations and experiments to develop optimal flowcell designs that is suitable for high optical resolution, low surface NSB, reduced reagent volume consumption, and negligible carryover.
- Product commercialization experience taking a design from research to development and into manufacturing.
- Proven track record of identifying and developing new technologies and products that are commercially successful.
- High degree of accountability.
- Dynamic leader with ability to motivate employees/managers to go the extra mile.
- Team player with an ability to influence peers and executives alike.
- Ability to work under tight schedules and drive projects with high speed.
- Demonstrates highly effective communication, problem-solving skills and thought leadership in a highly professional manner.
- Impeccable written and verbal communications; good listener.
- Has strong business acumen and customer centricity.
Nautilus Team Culture
- We are curious go-getters: this is a team of life-long learners who aren’t afraid to tackle the big challenges and we embrace the journey.
- We are detail oriented: we do great science by working smart & with diligence where we learn from our trials and mistakes.
- We are easy to work with: we want our workplace to be one where everyone can share their perspective and be treated with respect and kindness.
See more open positions at Nautilus Biotechnology
Something looks off?