Supv, Lab Affairs
As the Supervisor, Laboratory Affairs you will share the supervisory responsibilities of Natera’s curation team with the Associate Director of the curation team. You will ensure that curation is properly performed and that there are sufficient and appropriately trained staff members available for the tasks that require curators.
- Meet productivity requirements set by your manager:
- Review NGS and Sanger data, as needed, and curate for carrier screening and other genetic phenotypes as they are added to Natera’s portfolio.
- Review of genetic and CNV variant data: interpret NGS results in the context of medical literature, online variant databases and other references along with relevant patient demographic data.
- Provide operational support for the curation team, and discuss clinical issues with Lab directors, as needed.
- Supervise: Review and approve assigned work; develop personnel, including dedIcated succession and contingency planning.
- Track weekly productivity of the curators reporting to you and have periodic meetings with them to make sure that they are meeting the productivity metrics.and the expectations for their role.
- Monitor the production queue and cases in the variant curator bucket to help the team meet the target turnaround times.
- Work with the Associate Director of the curation team and with the other supervisors to prioritize production work and help validate new panels and improve workflows for existing panels.
- Assist Technical Director Variants are reviewed and curated by the appropriate staff, in accordance with the CLIA requirements.
- Corrective action plans are followed when review results are found to be unacceptable or unsatisfactory; Remedial actions are taken and documented when significant deviations from the established performance characteristics are identified, and patient test results are reported only when the system is functioning properly; Personnel have been appropriately trained and demonstrate competency prior to variant review; Monitor personnel competency to assure the ongoing competency of all individuals who perform variant curation; Remedial training needs are identified, and training provided; and Assist in procedure updates from time to time, as needed. Analyze data and contribute to or write publications for high-quality scientific journals.
- This role has access to various technologies and systems that provide access to PHI (paper and electronic), as a part of the job function.
- Employee must complete training relating to HIPAA/PHI privacy, General Policies and Procedure Compliance training and security training as soon as possible but not later than the first 30 days of hire.
- Must maintain a current status on Natera training requirements.
- Masters degree required (PhD preferred) in genetics or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in genetics (industry or clinical).
- 1+ years of Supervisory experience in previous roles is desirable.
- Experience in a CLIA-certified clinical laboratory setting analyzing, interpreting and reporting clinical genetic/genomic data with some variant curation experience at Natera is preferable. Knowledge of CAP, CLIA, California, and New York state regulations.
- Experience managing a team/supervisory experience is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in the review and interpretation of clinical NGS and Sanger data.
- Familiarity with next-generation sequencing, and/or knowledge of advanced methods of copy number detection.
- Strong background in human medical genetics and oncology (preferred) with a familiarity in human genomics.
- Understanding of statistical measures utilized in genetic testing and screening.
Natera™ is a global leader in cell-free DNA (cfDNA) testing, dedicated to oncology, women’s health, and organ health. Our aim is to make personalized genetic testing and diagnostics part of the standard of care to protect health and enable earlier and more targeted interventions that lead to longer, healthier lives.
The Natera team consists of highly dedicated statisticians, geneticists, doctors, laboratory scientists, business professionals, software engineers and many other professionals from world-class institutions, who care deeply for our work and each other. When you join Natera, you’ll work hard and grow quickly. Working alongside the elite of the industry, you’ll be stretched and challenged, and take pride in being part of a company that is changing the landscape of genetic disease management.
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive Benefits - Employee benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life and disability plans for eligible employees and their dependents. Additionally, Natera employees and their immediate families receive free testing in addition to fertility care benefits. Other benefits include pregnancy and baby bonding leave, 401k benefits, commuter benefits and much more. We also offer a generous employee referral program!
For more information, visit www.natera.com.
Natera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace environment, and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Inclusive collaboration benefits our employees, our community and our patients, and is critical to our mission of changing the management of disease worldwide.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents.
Please be advised that Natera will reach out to candidates with a @natera.com email domain ONLY. Email communications from all other domain names are not from Natera or its employees and are fraudulent. Natera does not request interviews via text messages and does not ask for personal information until a candidate has engaged with the company and has spoken to a recruiter and the hiring team. Natera takes cyber crimes seriously, and will collaborate with law enforcement authorities to prosecute any related cyber crimes.